Stop the stigma: bring back the side part

Me, rocking the side part in Kindergarten

Saige Joseph, Editor-in-Chief

I’ll be the first to admit it. I’ve fallen victim to the peer pressures of “trends”. Nowadays, every second it seems that there is some new trend that everyone is going crazy over. 

Even in that photo, the sides of my head are visibly uneven with hair due to my violent part. 

After discussing with my peers, some of the most “embarrassing” of the trends was the side part. I personally disagree. As a child, I rocked the side part. 

But, like so many others, I fell victim to the capture of the middle part. 

As a kid, I think I could’ve easily been recognized because of my part. It was a full fledged comb over, but I made it work. 

I even had a strict side part all the way up until freshman year. I didn’t know it was becoming less and less popular. 

I didn’t immediately switch my part when I saw the masses doing so. It was more of a progression over time. It became one of those things that I didn’t even process until it had already happened. 

But, my side-part switch has made me consider the rapidly evolving trends that society is faced with. 

Trends tend to change with the weather. A new day, a new trend. I personally find it strange. Why can’t trends last more than a few months? 

Considering the exile of side parts, they have been almost completely erased. The idea has become that they’re “uncool” or “weird” which is untrue. It’s all about finding a balance. 

Middle parts have become basic, millennial. Ugh, honestly. They’re not ugly but they just don’t offer anything special. Almost everyone has a middle part nowadays and they really don’t stand out in any way, shape, or form. 

Side parts provided a nice addition to the common school day. They are able to differentiate from other common hairstyles that tend to mesh together. 

Now you’re telling me that as a child a side part isn’t the most “in” thing. 

Whenever I look back on photos of me and my friends as children, the side part was a common appearance. 

What made it so weird?

I can’t answer that. I really don’t know. I don’t even understand why the part that someone has is even that big of a deal to start off with. 

Now, I know that I’m vouching for the return of the side part and even I don’t have one at the moment. But let’s not completely turn against it. 

Some trends deserve to stay popular for a very long time.