LFHS halls are elevated by a new hill: security guard Angela Hill

Caroline Gerber

Mrs. Angela Hill at school

Caroline Gerber, Staff Writer

Within two weeks of her arrival at LFHS, Security staff member Mrs. Angela Hill’s joyful and radiant presence in the school halls has already had a positive impact on students.

Hill is the youngest of 12 siblings and the only one whose first name does not begin with the letter J. She and her husband, a marine, have two children Courtney (34) and Ryan (33). 

Mr. Hill (left), Angela Hill, Courtney, and Ryan (right). (Angela Hill)

Hill grew up in Chicago, graduating from Whitney Young High School, with a passion for dance that has stayed with her to this day.

She and her husband previously owned two ballroom and Latin dance clubs that closed as a result of the pandemic. 

However, their closing could not keep Hill from engaging in her passion for dance.

She and her husband currently own a business, “Dress Up and Dance,” where they host dances at various restaurants and they continue to teach ballroom and Latin dancing at the College of Lake County, as well as at several Lake County high schools.

It was after graduating from high school that Hill began dancing for a living. She was involved in many performance art programs in Chicago, where she performed and danced for approximately seven years.

Hill dancing in a class (Angela Hill)

In 1985 she first started working in high schools, to fulfill her desire to work with the youth.

Prior to coming to LFHS, Hill held employment at a police department, as well as several local high schools including Warren, Stevenson, and New Trier.  In search of a full-time position that would enable her to be more closely involved with students, Hill chose to accept the security job at Lake Forest.

“It gives me joy and makes me feel lifted when I talk to students and learn about what they’re doing,” Hill said. “I try to make their day go by okay…I don’t give them a hassle because I know what it was like to be in high school.”

While Hill enjoys interacting with the students and staff in a light-hearted and friendly manner; she recognizes the important role the security staff plays in keeping the school safe. 

“Safety and security in schools are so important…we want to make sure that you feel protected when you’re in school,” Hill said. “The team we have here is amazing.”

Hill is enjoying the atmosphere at LFHS so much that she hopes to finish her career here.

“The staff has been so wonderful to me and so have the students,” Hill said. “Here I find that the students are more cordial to me, they are more polite…that makes a big difference.” 

With Hill’s passion for dance and music being able to interact with the music department has brought her joy.

“I see the talent that’s at this school,” Hill said.

Hill and the McNulty Irish dance group (Angela Hill)

Students are equally as thrilled by Hill’s presence at LFHS, as she is thrilled by being here.

“When the Give Club was hosting a bake sale, she approached us and was so friendly,” junior Julia Liebelt said. “Whenever I see her in the halls she always has a smile on her face and something kind to say.”

In her free time, in addition to dancing with her husband, Hill loves to listen to jazz music and play tennis. She also frequents Navy Pier for live shows and dances.

Her dream day would be dancing on a cruise ship. 

“I love the different islands, the live plays, the atmosphere, and the good times,” Hill said.

Another dream of Hill’s is to teach students how to swing and salsa dance before prom.

Maybe one day students will get together and she will teach everyone Salsa dance. 

Her presence has already left a positive, lasting impression on LFHS.

“We’re all looking forward to seeing her around the school halls more,” junior Ameena Alsikafi said.