Gymnastics flips into the new season

Kelsey Bumbaco and Lucy Hanlon

The Varsity gymnastics team kicked off their 2022-2023 season on Wednesday with a meet against Mundelein and Libertyville. Although they didn’t take first place, they are still optimistic about their outlook for the rest of the year.

Returning to the team this season is senior Reagan Fisch, along with juniors Ava Bleck and Franca Stohlgren, and sophomores, Ava Starks and Ella Boudreau. The team also welcomes three new freshmen this year, Taylor Gaston, Maddie Phillips, and Ava Pasquesi.

Girl’s gymnastics’ 2021-2022 season ended with a second-place finish in their Regionals, with five members qualifying individually for Sectionals. With three of those qualifiers being seniors, the girls are now navigating a new team dynamic.  

“The seniors last year were really good motivators and leaders, I want to be that for the new freshmen with the other upperclassmen,” said junior Franca Stohlgren.

Fisch says she wants to be strong leader just like the seniors were last year.

“Last year, the seniors did an excellent job leading the way and now being the only senior is definitely big shoes to fill. I want to make sure I’m a good role model for the team. It’s definitely stressful but in a good way,” she said

Though they didn’t qualify for sectionals as a team last year, the Scouts are hopeful for the upcoming season. Fisch says she feels “really good” about the team and the new additions. 

“I think we have a good chance at making it to Sectionals,” she said. “Our team is super strong this year. I think the three freshmen also make a really positive impact.”

Stohlgren says the new talent on this year’s team is “super exciting.”

“One of my goals is to break a 140-team score which I think is totally doable if we support each other throughout the season.”

The girls have already started their team bonding traditions, picking sisters, going out to dinner, and wearing groutfits to school. They recently competed in the Turkey Trot together to improve their cardio and get closer as a team. 

Before the season started, many of the girls had already known each other from previous club experiences.

“Coming into the season, I already knew the three freshmen that made the team from our club team, and I’m very excited to see what they do for our team,” said Fisch 

Freshman Taylor Gaston is already feeling at home on the team.

“The team is really fun,” she said “All of the upperclassmen are really sweet and encouraging, they always cheer us on for every skill.”

The team competed in the Rolling Meadows Invitational on Saturday, a favorite meet among multiple members of the team. They placed 5th out of 16 teams, a successful meet for the girls.

The team is looking forward to building on their successes from Saturday at their meet on Tuesday at New Trier High School.