Varsity Field Hockey season highlights

Varsity Field Hockey season highlights

Maeve Bradley, In LFHS Editor

Last Thursday, the Varsity Field Hockey team was cheered out of the lower commons by fellow classmates as they made their way to compete for a spot in the state semi-finals.

After a very close game, the scouts fell short to Glenbrook South with a final score of 2-3. On Saturday, Oct 29, they finished third in state after winning 1-0 against Glenbard West High School. 

Senior Matty Michael who scored the game-winning goal described the triumph as a “positive ending,” to the season. 

Although the result was not what the team had hoped for, they finalized their overall record of 20 wins, 6 losses, and 2 ties – completing a successful season with many memorable games and highlights. 

The first time the team matched up against Glenbrook South on Sept. 21, they put on quite a show winning with a golden goal. After playing in 80-degree weather and through a stretch of eight corners in a row, the team fought hard through the first 60 minutes. By the end of the second half, they were tied 2-2 and proceeded into two overtimes.

Captain Caroline Keil, who scored the game-winning prize, described the match as “exhausting and intense.” Yet, the victory became a great memory and achievement for the players. 

“We were all exhausted by the start of each overtime,” said Keil. “When we won, I was super excited to see our effort pay off, and the team was ecstatic to finally come out with the win.” 

Each year, the team travels to St. Louis to compete in the Gateway Classic Tournament. For the five-hour bus ride in their iconic Juicy tracksuits, the players always cherish this opportunity to bond with their teammates at the start of their season. 

“It helps the team get closer and develop skills on better turf against better teams early in the season,” said junior captain Maisie Henshaw. 

They played three competitive games, tying against John Burroughs and St. Josephs and losing to Christian Academy.  

“Although we didn’t have an amazing result this year, we all love the tournament because it is a great way to refresh and improve our skills,” said Keil.  “It’s really cool to look back and see how far we’ve come and grown as a team.”

On our home turf, the scouts took down Oak Park with a strong win of 7-0 on Oct. 14. Especially for returning players, the victory was very meaningful as Oak Park defeated Lake Forest in the state semi-finals last year. 

Despite the cold and rainy conditions, Senior Night was a highlight for both the upper and lower classmates on the team.

“It was so bittersweet to know that we would have to say goodbye to the people we’ve seen almost every day for the past 4 months,” said Michael. “But it was also so exciting that we could leave on a big win like that.”