Cross Country Night Race Returns for Second Year

Marni Levinson

Runners at the race

Caroline Gerber, Staff Writer

The XC night race is now an annual tradition after Girls Head Cross Country Coach, Steve Clegg, launched the event last October.

The event was hosted on Thursday Oct. 6 by the LFHS XC teams at West Campus, where eight other teams were invited to compete, including middle school teams.

“The night race has become my favorite cross country event. My teammates and I look forward to it all season,” Girls XC Team Captain, Alexandra Fontana said.

The race differs from the average cross country course, as it is only two miles instead of the standard three, it occurs after dark, and it includes music and dancing.

“My favorite part of the race is the dance party. Before we run, everyone from all different schools form a circle and we dance to music and have fun,” senior XC Captain, Amelia Fontana said.

Girls cross country team

Other runners agreed that the race was less about competition and more about fun and having a good time.

“Because the race is only two miles, there is not as much stress and we can really focus on team bonding,” said senior Captain, Chelsea Tzau.

During the school day leading up to the race, girls and boys XC runners showed off their excitement and team spirit by wearing matching night race T-shirts.

Team spirit and Scout pride carried over to the race, as runners wore glow sticks and Scout colored paint during the event.

Coaches felt the same enthusiasm as the athletes regarding the return of the event. 

The night race

“I love the night race. It’s so energetic, everything is so hype, and the energy is always great,” Girls Cross Country coach Marni Levinson said.

The Girls Varsity XC Team finished second place overall, with eight runners finishing the two mile race in under 13 minutes. Meanwhile, the Girls JV Team finished in first place, with seven runners completing the race in under 14 minutes.

“Overall It was a really fun experience with the whole team,” said sophomore Megan Lawniczik. “The night race was definitely a stand out moment in my first season of Cross Country.”