LFHS Confirms Switch to MacBooks for Next School Year

Elsa Dahlgren, Editor-in-Chief

At the beginning of the 2023-2024 school year, all students will receive MacBooks Airs as their provided school device. Staff will be switching to the Apple platform alongside them, but will be receiving the devices later this year. 

According to Chief Technology Officer Jordan Salus, there are several advantages to switching faculty and students to Macbooks – especially improved speed. 

“MacBooks can run any workflows currently enabled on a Chromebook. They can do it far faster and with significantly better battery life,” Salus said. 

Not only do Macs work faster than the current Chromebooks, but the timing is crucial, as problems with staff devices are growing. 

“Staff devices are tired,” Salus said. “Dells need replacement sooner rather than later. Based on comparison between D67 and D115, Macs have significantly fewer support incidents than PCs.”

In addition to MacBooks, staff will have the option to request iPads. Many math and science teachers have expressed their continued need for technology that can draw  out graphs and equations, which they are able to do with their current Dell computers. 

With a switch that will alter the day to day life of students, there are varying opinions. However, the majority of students claim to favor MacBooks over Chromebooks. At the end of the 2021-2022 school year, 76% of students in a Technology Committee survey said they preferred to use a Mac Platform. 

“I think it’s a really great opportunity to have more advanced technology that we can use everyday,” said sophomore Reese Harper. “There are many features on a Mac that the Chromebook doesn’t have.” 

Still, many seniors are frustrated that the switch didn’t occur in previous years, as they never got the chance to receive a Mac. 

“I think it’s a good step up, and MacBooks are easier,” said senior Fran Okundaye. “It sucks that we don’t get them, but it’s exciting for the other grades.”

This month, LFHS has taken its first steps towards a school-wide switch to MacBooks. 20 students have received MacBook Airs as part of the Technology Committee’s pilot program, also known as the MacBook Beta Group. 30 more students will be added to this group in mid-October. 

The students will be using the Macs for the remainder of the 2022-2023 school year, providing feedback on their experience.

The students will be using the Macs for the remainder of the 2022-2023 school year, providing feedback on their experience. As for the current Chromebooks, they are set to be discarded by a public auction, per the Board of Education Policy 4:80 (Disposition of District Property).