Boys Varsity Golf Wins Conference, Girls Varsity Earns Third

Kelsey Bumbaco, Staff Writer

This past week, both Boy’s and Girl’s golf teams competed in NSC Conference Championships. 

Girls Golf: 

On Monday the Girl’s Golf Team finished third in their conference championship at Thunderhawk Golf Course. The team was hoping to do well after finishing their regular season with a (166-206) conference victory over Mundelein High School. Over the season, the Scouts were (2-3) in our conference so this was a big match. 

Sophomore Sophie Portalatin had the lowest score for the Scouts, shooting an 87 and medaling. Following were junior Zofia Olszewski and freshman Evelyn Marshall with an 89. 

After playing in a Triangular at Thunderhawk against Warren High School and Lake Zurich High School the previous Wednesday, the Scouts were ready to roll. With clear skies and sun, it was a perfect day for conference. 

“As a team, we were a little disappointed in the score, seeing as we were holding onto 2nd place the entire round and ended up losing to Warren by 1. I think as a whole it was just a rough round.” Senior Captian Emmie Edwards said, “Going into regionals, I’m confident in the work we’ve put in and are very hopeful to do well and move onto sectionals”

The team earned a total score of 355, finishing behind  Warren (354) and Stevenson (287). The Scouts look to bounce back during Regionals next Thursday at Deerfield Golf Course. 

Boys Golf: 

Tuesday Lake Forest Boys Golf Team competed at the NSC Conference Championship at Veterans Memorial. The Boys team was looking to finish conference with a win after being (5-0) this season and becoming back-to-back champions.  

The Scouts were victorious by an 11-stroke victory (301) over Stevenson Patriots (311). Senior Asa Thomas led the team with a 70 (-2) finishing top individually. Finishing 2nd was Sophmore Jack Lamberti with a 71 (-1). To finish out the scoring Senior Spencer Collis with a 79 and junior Clayton Trevino with an 81. 

“I’m super proud of my team! I didn’t realize we were going to be a conference-winning team after losing all of our seniors last year,” junior Clayton Trevino said. “Looking into regionals, we know we have to get top three to move on to sectionals but were not looking for top three we’re looking to win” 

Course conditions were not in favor of the players, but the Scouts pushed through to an ultimate victory. Scouts look to win at Sectionals next Wednesday at Shepards Crook Golf Course.