College Corner: Week 9

Colin Martens and Sydney Pitera

Each week, College Corner interviews five seniors on where they have decided to attend next year, what they are most excited about, and what they love about it. 

Name: Hannah Stewart

College: University of Michigan

Major: Biochemistry

Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Mascot: Wolverines

Why Michigan?

“Michigan has amazing STEM programs and a great undergraduate research program. The distance away from home is perfect and the school spirit is awesome. As soon as I stepped on campus last October I knew it was the school for me!”

What are you most excited about? 

“I’m really excited to meet new friends, go to football and hockey games, and try all of the restaurants in Ann Arbor!”

Name: Julia Grum

College:  Purdue University 

Major: Kinesiology

Location: West Lafayette, Indiana

Mascot: Boilermaker

Why Purdue?

“When I visited the campus for the first time, it was the day of the Indiana vs Purdue basketball game. The campus was so busy and lively, and I loved it. I also loved the buildings on campus, the recreational center is one of the nicest I have ever seen. I also loved the idea of attending a Big 10 school because school spirit is very important to me. Also, It is only 2 and a half hours away from my house, so I can still easily see my family when I want.”

What are you most excited about? 

“I am most looking forward to football games and rushing. I was also admitted into the honors college so I am so excited to see the opportunities that come from that!”

Name: Ally Galiene

College:  University of South Carolina

Major: Business and Pharmaceutical Sciences

Location: Columbia, South Carolina

Mascot: Gamecocks

Why South Carolina?

“I chose UofSC because I wanted a big school in a warm location. University of South Carolina is in a perfect location with a lively atmosphere. Their school spirit is unmatched and I am beyond excited to be there for the next four years! The scholarship I was awarded also gave me a lot of incentive to attend because it made it really affordable.”

What are you most excited about? 

“I’m excited to meet new people, get involved in a new community, explore new interests, play club sports, and go to football games! I’m really excited for the beautiful weather and to rush! I got into the business school and I’m excited to continue my education at South Carolina!”

Name:  McKenna Burns

College: University of Hawaii

Major: Theater

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Mascot: Rainbow Warrior

Why Hawaii? 

“There’s always something to do so you’ll never get bored. And the temperatures are amazing all year round so I’ll never miss a day on the beach!”

What are you most excited about?

“To get to experience the culture of Hawaii, and surf every day!”

Name:  Julia DeLuca

College: Trinity College

Major: Psychology

Location: Hartford, Connecticut

Mascot: Bantams

Why Trinity? 

“I loved the idea of going to school on the East Coast. Trinity’s academics were super appealing to me and the campus is absolutely gorgeous. Everyone that I met there was so kind and inviting which made Trinity seem like the perfect place to go!”

What are you most excited about? 

“I’m probably most excited to try all the restaurants in Hartford, and start having my education focus solely on psych and what I want to do. And, of course, meeting all the new people!”