The Best of Wes

Saige Joseph, Staff Writer

If I’ve ever talked about movies with you, odds are I’ve mentioned Wes Anderson. He’s my favorite director. Now, lots of people have seen some of his movies and tend to love his most popular movies. Well, I’m here to tell you which are his best 3 for next time you’re in the mood to watch only the greatest director’s work. 

3) Moonrise Kingdom

Finishing up the top three is Moonrise Kingdom, which is a perfect representation of young love. This film follows two teens, Suzy and Sam, as they cope with the struggles of being young and finding themselves. 

This film captures the true state of being vulnerable. Suzy and Sam run away together to escape their lives at home. 

The adversities that they face are relatable for teens everywhere, and the characters are so realistic. 

I admire how Anderson’s characters have no fear in expressing themselves and are uniquely themselves. Suzy and Sam are the odd ones out in their lives. Through one another, they find a space where they are no longer so alone. 

This movie has a way of making you feel seen. It accepts you for who you are, no matter what. It brings you together with the characters that not only are finding themselves, but dealing with the ins and outs of life.

What's your favorite Wes Anderson film?

Anderson is known for his color palettes, and yellow always seems to be a significant color in his films. There is nothing like the use of yellow in Moonrise Kingdom though. The entire film has a yellow tint that adds a warmth that reflects the young love the plot explores.

The film perfectly captures the essence of young love and the emotions that come with growing up. The perfect amount of reality mixed with exaggerated life creates this story that connects with all viewers. 

Sticking with his truly “Wes” style, Anderson uses his star studded cast with familiar favorites to bring the story to life.

The cast includes Frances McDormand, Bill Murray, and Bruce Willis, just to name a few. How could you possibly skip a movie with such a good cast?

2) The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Grand Budapest Hotel is a more common fan favorite among Wes Anderson films—and for good reason. The visuals, story, and score all come together to make a film worth viewing. 

Wes Anderson is known for his visual symmetry in a lot of his work, but this skill really comes to light in this film. Each scene contains almost perfectly symmetrical compositions. Watching this film is so satisfying because of the way that his sets and costumes compliment one another. 

In this film, mainly pinks and purples rule the screen as they work to tie together a great crime mystery. The set, taking place at The Grand Budapest Hotel, shines with such exact details to capture the essence of the 1930s. 

The cast led by Ralph Fiennes is hilarious as the eccentric humor connects with people of all ages. 

Other famous actors fill the star-studded cast such as: Saoirse Ronan, Willem Dafoe, Tilda Swinton, and Edward Norton. 

The stand-out score is uniquely crafted to capture the setting in a fictional eastern European country. Nominated and winning an Oscar for the score, it rightfully deserves the praise it receives.

Although this is typically seen as the best Anderson film, it has to come in second. The story isn’t as emotional as Rushmore, and even though its plot line is captivating, it just doesn’t come with the heartfelt thematic hints that Rushmore does. 

Hard to describe without viewing, The Grand Budapest Hotel is truly one of a kind movie that transports you into a story within a story. 

1. Rushmore

Rushmore isn’t just my favorite Wes Anderson movie, but it’s my favorite movie of all time. I’m obsessed. I’ve practically forced everyone in my life to watch it because I absolutely adore it. Most people tend to not share my obsession, but from what I’ve heard, they still enjoy it. That’s reason enough for you to watch it. 

Rushmore follows a high school boy, Max Fischer, and his endeavors at private school as he falls in love with a teacher. 

I know it might sound weird, but that’s what makes it so great. Wes Anderson is so uniquely talented and he owns it. 

Even though they push the extremes of reality, his characters are still so relatable. Max Fischer is my favorite cinematic character. I find him so interesting to watch, and there are so many parts of him that I believe everyone can relate to at some point in their lives. He can be perceived as a go-getter in high school, but he is also really vulnerable and figuring out who he is. 

The soundtrack is just the cherry on top with songs like Making Time by The Creation and Nothin’ In the World Can Stop Me Worryin’ Bout That Girl by The Kinks. It ties everything perfectly together as it encapsulates the honest vulnerability that the movie represents. 

In my mind, it’s a no-brainer that Rushmore reigns superior among movies. It’s witty, clever, and even though it’s set in high school, viewers of all ages can find pieces that they relate with. It’s about finding yourself through the ups and downs of life. 

All of Wes Anderson’s movies contain visually appealing scenes. But Rushmore in particular captures the regular toned down colors with specific pops along the way. They emphasize important characteristics that the film highlights such as; youth, innocence, and love.