A Review of the Best Cafe Study Spots

Saige Joseph and Lindsey Kozel

Doing homework at home can get really boring and feel repetitive—especially considering we were at home for most of last year.

To add more excitement, we like to go to cafes to study and do homework. Cafes and coffee shops are nice because they are an opportunity get out of the house and still do your schoolwork. There are so many different places to go near LFHS so we’re reviewing some of our favorites. These places each have unique features about them that make them great places to go to study. 

Starbucks – 7/10

Starbucks is a staple with a wide selection of both drinks and food.  We love Starbucks and consider it one of the best places to study just because their coffee and drinks are a personal favorite. Starbucks has free wifi so you can do all of those Schoology assignments you’ve been putting off. It’s nice that it’s so close to the high school that you can walk there after school and have plenty of time to do work. However, it can get pretty loud with a long line and groups of people sitting at tables. It feels very cozy but also does not have a lot of tables to work at. So, if you’re going to study there, go at a time when it won’t be too crowded.

Tala – 8.5/10

Tala is a cafe in Highwood that offers a variety of drinks and some food options. We like how they have seasonal drinks if you want to mix up your usual coffee order. There are a lot of unique flavors which stand out from other coffee shops. Saige likes to get the “Mermaid”, which is like a fancy caramel macchiato that not only tastes good, but looks pretty too. Lindsey recently tried he “Coquito,” which is a Puerto Rican spiced coconut coffee. It was really good and would be the perfect study drink during the wintertime.

Tala is not too noisy inside, and there is plenty of seating. There’s also enough room for each group to have their own space. The one downside is that you may get distracted by the number of people you know there. It’s a popular option for high school students because it has a nice ambiance and is relatively close. A bonus is the free wifi, so you can do everything on your computers. 

Hansa – 8/10

Hansa is another great place to do homework or study. It is a quiet, quaint coffee shop that allows you tofocus on your work. If you like having the background noise of making coffee and hushed conversations, you’ll love going to Hansa. There are always students and adults doing work or in meetings. But, there are never too many people there at once no matter what day or time you go. They have a great selection of baked goods that are perfect for an afternoon snack and quite a few drinks available. We really like any of their honey coffees but there are many more options to choose from. Another plus about Hansa is that it’s pretty close to LFHS and you could walk there on a nice day. 

Little french guy – 6.5 /10

Little French guy is a cafe in Highland Park that has amazing French pastries and food. Little French Guy has two cases full of pastries, so there are a lot of options. One of our favorite things to get is a pistachio roll, which is kind of like a rolled-up croissant with a layer of pistachio inside. While they have more basic drink options, their classic coffees always hit the spot. The interior is spacious and has plenty of seating which is perfect if you like to study with friends. However, it is often crowded inside with a line of people on the weekends. If you can get past some noise and people coming in and out, then it’s a great place to do homework. We easily get distracted though and wind up talking to our friends the whole time, so this place is not for us. If it’s too busy for you, the great thing is that Little French Guy is in downtown Highland Park so you can walk around and explore other shops.