The Top 10 Marvel Movies

Thor: The Dark World is definitely number one here. Just kidding.

Mateo Garcia, Staff Writer

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is, undoubtedly, a great achievement in the film industry. With the 25 MCU movies, each of them being outstanding, it was hard to rank the top 10. This list focuses on the quality and impact of the film, and most importantly, how important it was to the MCU. 

10. Spider-Man: Homecoming 

Friendly neighborhood Spider-Man relaxing in Queens.

Spider-Man: Homecoming is exactly the movie that Spider-Man fans have been waiting for. It distinguishes itself from other Marvel movies and fully embraces both the Spider-Man that Stan Lee envisioned and the perils of a teenage high school life. It’s a colorful, fun adventure that focuses on the “friendly” part in “friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.”

9. Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings 

Shang-Chi during the final fight of the movie against his father

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is a stunning example of a superhero’s origin story. The movie follows a young Kung-Fu master, who is forced to confront his past  after being drawn into a terrorist organization. With the masterful presentation of historical martial arts in the action scenes, the movie has some of the best close combat scenes in the entire MCU. Along with that, this movie is also a huge step forward for Asian representation in the film industry, with it’s first Asian-American superhero in the industry. 

8. Thor: Ragnarok 

The Lord of Thunder faces the Champion of Sakaar

Exciting, hilarious, and above all joyous, Thor: Ragnarok is a terrific movie with great comedy and action. This film took a different approach to the Thor franchise of fantasy and royal intrigue, and pushed it towards a sci-fi comedy, outlandish improvised direction, and it really paid off. It gives the character a definition that the previous Thor films lacked, and this take is what made Thor: Ragnarok such a success.

7. Captain America: Civil War 

Captain America and Iron Man in their final face off

With high emotional stakes, great storytelling, and an ingenious villain, Captain America: Civil War earned its spot on this list. The fight and chase scenes are frenetic without being confusing, and it managed to introduce two brand new characters into the universe while managing to stay on top of the core plot. The plot pits both of the lead characters against each other, yet they’re still likable regardless.

6. Guardians of the Galaxy

The newly formed Guardians of the Galaxy walking out of a prison break

Guardians of the Galaxy was a risk-taking movie. Without a  feature of a major Marvel character, Marvel took a risk, and it worked out. Name recognition doesn’t really matter when you make one of the best space opera romps in a long time. As an unprecedented superhero movie that not only boasts action but comedy too, it was the first of many comedy-action superhero movies to come. Plus it has a killer soundtrack.

5. Iron Man

Tony Stark testing his technology for his new Iron Man armor

Iron Man is arguably the most important film that Marvel has ever made. From its success came the rest of the Marvel cinematic universe. Iron Man proved that superheroes would be a hit in the film industry, and the film is a fan favorite largely due to the charismatic performance of Robert Downey Jr.

4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 

Bucky Barnes (Winter Soldier) during a fight against Captain America

This movie is what happens when you combine the action-packed Marvel movie-making formula with various spy thriller elements. The suspenseful and politically astute film, with great emotional beats, makes it a worthy addition to these ranks, as a thrilling action film.

3. Avengers: Endgame

Iron Man in the final fight against Thanos

Avengers: Endgame is the accumulation of 11 years of hard work and 21 outstanding movies. No movie has had to carry the weight of 21 movies and this last film really gives out an emotional resonance, and one hell of a payoff. The emotional connections to each character makes all the quiet scenes much more valuable, and brings out even more enthusiasm in the spectacle at the end. With a satisfying, three-hour movie finale, Marvel really created one of a kind.

2. The Avengers 

The Avengers rounding up to get ready to fight against the aliens in Manhattan

The Avengers is a top-notch movie. It’s a remarkable barrage of what to do right. The script which emphasizes humanity and the supergroup’s cast’s unexpectedly dynamic chemistry both come together to create the superhero movie of the ages. Nothing could keep your blood from pumping when the Avengers theme swelled and the camera swung 360 degrees through a New York City in ruins and the Hulk, Iron Man, Black Widow, Captain America, Hawkeye, and Thor stood defiantly back-to- back as heroes who shared a cause.

1. Avengers: Infinity War 

The Avengers and their allies in a fight against Thanos’ forces

Probably the only movie out of all of them who could ever top The Avengers, is the Avengers: Infinity War itself. This movie is a triumph. Thanos is an incredible villain and arguably the main character of the film. The movie is incredibly well paced for having 30 characters to balance, and there’s rarely a dull moment in the entire film. Additionally, the ending is amazing, with the greatest cinematic cliffhanger of all time, leaving the audience with great anticipation for the sequel. All in all, this is my favorite and I would argue the best MCU film.