All You Need to Know for the 2021-2022 StuCo Elections

Get to know the 2021-22 StuCo candidates

Edward Torosian, Staff Writer

Student Council elections are right around the corner, and I’m here with answers to your questions from the candidates for Student Body President and Vice President. From the first change they’ll make in the school to what they’d order when out to lunch with you, everything you need to know is right here.

Why should people vote for you?

Johnny Theodore for Student Body Vice President:

Well there’s a lot of reasons why people should vote for me. Last year I filled the role of junior class Vice President in which we ultimately were able to work past the challenges of COVID-19 to create a large-scale prom for our juniors and seniors. I also plan on doing everything in my power to unite our student body. In what will be a rebound year for our school in hopes for a return to normalcy, school spirit and the feeling that every student should have of belonging to something is very important in my mind.

I will work with the president to coordinate many spirit based events throughout the year, while maintaining and reviving the united nature that makes LFHS such a great school. I look forward to working with all the students next year and hearing things from everyone about what I can do to make school a better place. Vote for me. Make school fun again.

Christina Carris for Student Body President:

When asked why the student body should vote for me, I instantly think back to my involvement in our LFHS community. I have been an active member in the arts, academic clubs, spirit oriented organizations, and sports. I want to fairly represent the student body and

Student Body President Candidate Christina Carris

acknowledge our differences while also bringing us together. I have several goals and initiatives I want to continue from past years and also put in place for this upcoming year, as seen in my campaign video. I want to give LFHS the year they deserve.

Joey Nassar for Student Body President:

Students at Lake Forest High School should vote for me because it is necessary for our school to have a strong and experienced leader for a bounce back year in which it will be important to reestablish the traditions that make Lake Forest High School so fun and special. From my time as sophomore and junior class president, I have gained the knowledge and leadership skills necessary to execute the rebuilding of Homecoming and Turnabout for next year, as well as various other events that LFHS missed out on due to COVID-19. My goal if elected as president is to make up for this disappointing year and to bring back excitement lost from the pandemic.

What is one thing you would want people to know about you?

Student Body President Candidate Joey Nassar

Theodore:

One thing I’d like y’all to know about me is that I’m just like the rest of you. Throughout my time in middle school and high school I’ve experienced loneliness and feeling as though my voice isn’t important or heard. These past sentiments motivate me even further to help everyone with these feelings in LFHS to feel as though they have a voice and their thoughts can impact change at our school.

Carris:

One thing I want the student body to know about me is I’m here for them. I’m running to represent them and work for them. We see in elections all the time that the winners tend to forget that they are working for the people they represent. Even if I don’t win, I will still be here for them no matter what.

Nassar:

One thing I would like people to know about me is that I am ready to listen to the student body if elected as president and that I will make changes that LFHS students deem necessary and important. The most important factor to me if elected as Student Body President is communication with the senior, junior, sophomore, and the upcoming freshman classes. I am always open to feedback and ready to make the changes Lake Forest wants and needs.

What is the first change on your agenda if elected?

Theodore:

Student Body VP Candidate Johnny Theodore

First change on the agenda is ensuring that there will be basketball and other activities in the field house EVERY DAY for students in their lunch period. This can help students destress during a tough school day, and it has helped me relax this year while it’s been available.

Carris:

The first change on my agenda wouldn’t necessarily be a change from past years, but a change for this year. Because of COVID-19 we have missed pep-rallies, sporting events, theater performances, etc. I will look over all current regulations regarding schools to make sure we can have a piece of normalcy in our world next year. Of course, returning to that normalcy has to be safe.

Other than that, I will focus on fixing school lunches and talking with the school board about changes we can make. I will continue Fall Fest, started by current president Will Elliott and Vice President Erica O’Neil, but move it to the spring so we have a fun spring event. I will also form a safe group where students can talk and get support about different aspects of their lives. I will also make sure our school dances are fun and send out surveys to the student body so we all have a say in the music at Homecoming, Winter Formal, and Prom. These are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my plans and agenda for the 2021-2022 school year.

Nassar:

The first change on my agenda if elected as president is to create a system that allows students at Lake Forest High School to give immediate input to the Student Council and to me as the Student Body President. This gives students the opportunity to make sure their voice is heard, and from there Student Council can act to serve their needs. I think by doing this the question of “what does Student Council even do?” will be answered and LFHS students will feel more aligned with the actions Student Council takes.

Cake or pie?

Theodore:

Well you see it ultimately depends. I’ll take a cherry pie over chocolate cake. But I’ll take a strawberry custard cake over a cherry pie. And so on.

Carris:

Depends on the season and the time of day. I can always eat cake for breakfast if needed, but pie is my preferred dessert in the fall and winter.

Nassar:

Pie is better than cake.

Go-to Chipotle order?

Theodore:

Double steak quesadilla. Goated.

Carris:

I love a good bowl with white rice, no beans, double chicken, mild salsa, cheese, guacamole, sour cream,  a little bit of lettuce, paired with a medium root beer, and chips and queso.

Nassar:

Double steak quesadilla.

Voting ends Thursday. Make sure to cast your votes!