Scouts Snap Losing Streak in Victory Over Hersey

Charlie Valentincic, Editor

On what was another chilly weeknight, the Scouts traveled to Arlington Heights to take on John Hersey High School in a non-conference game.

Senior Wilson Irvin took the mound for the Scouts and he was given some early help to begin the night.

After senior Rocco Royer drew a walk to begin the game, senior Ryan Cassidy knocked a single into the center which advanced Royer to third. Junior Tristan Kerr drew a walk for the Scouts and both senior Zach Porter and Ian Dillow drew walks as well to push two runs across and gave the Scouts a two-run lead after the top of the first.

Starting the game hot was crucial for the Scouts as it is something they have not been able to do thus far.

“After three losses in a row, we knew we had to win this game,” said Cassidy.  “Everyone came with energy and eagerness which was huge.”

After cruising through the bottom of the first, Hersey lined a double over Dillow’s head in centerfield and after a single and a Scouts error, Hersey tied it up at two. Later in the inning, another error committed by the Scouts prompted another run for the Huskies as they took a one-run lead after two innings.

The Scouts were able to respond as both Kerr and Dillow drew walks and Porter reached first after a Husky error. Junior Jonmarc Ranallo was able to shake off a few tough plays in the field as he ripped a grounder through the third baseman and shortstop bringing in two runs.

Junior Cesar Hernandez kept the bats rolling hitting a sac fly to center field bringing in Porter. Irvin helped himself out at the plate, sending a double into the left-centerfield gap scoring Ranallo and Royer. Ryan Cassidy also singled in the inning giving the Scouts an 8-3 lead after two and a half innings.

Irvin would stay hot on the mound giving up just two more runs over the next three innings.

“It’s hard to win when you aren’t throwing strikes,” said Irvin. “I have a lot of confidence in the defense and I was doing my best to give the defense a chance to make some plays.” Irvin finished the night going five innings allowing four earned runs and striking out two.

The Scouts however were able to keep the pressure on after Royer scored on a wild pitch by the Huskies in the top of the fourth.

Junior Evan Hvostik came in for Irvin and immediately made an impact on both offense and defense for the Scouts. Dillow and Ranallo reached base on a hit-by-pitch and walk respectively and a Hvostik single would score a run. Just one pitch later, Royer sent a rocket to left-center that cleared the bases and gave the Scouts a 12-5 lead with just an inning and a half left to play.

Hvostik would come in to pitch for the Scouts in the top of the sixth and through a walk and Scouts error, Hersey was able to push across a run after an infield single and another on the same play courtesy of a Scouts error. However, the young reliever was able to stop the momentum forcing a Hersey flyout one batter later.

After going down in order in the top of the seventh, the Scouts were three outs away from securing their second victory of the season. The Huskies would not go down without a fight though.

Hersey began the inning with an error, walk, and a hit-by-pitch loaded the bases with no outs. Hvostik was able to steady the ship and struck out the next Hersey hitter. Hvostik would walk the next two Huskies cutting the Scouts lead in half.

Dillow came into relief for the Scouts and would force a groundout which scored a run but gave the Scouts a much-needed out and just like that and the Scouts lead was just one. The next pitch Dillow threw gave the Scouts a scare after the Hersey clean-up hitter sent a hard line drive into the corner but landed just foul.

Just two pitches later, the Husky hitter sent another line drive down the line but luckily for the Scouts, landed just foul again. On the very next pitch, Dillow forced a ground ball that went right to the first baseman Royer who flipped it to Dillow who stepped on first giving the Scouts the win.

The Scouts’ bats were the best they have been all season on Wednesday night. “We fouled off the tough pitches and squared up the mistakes,” said coach Mike Nilles. “They got deep into counts and made Hersey pitchers work for every out.”

With this win, the Scouts move to 2-3-2 and 1-2 in conference play. The Scouts are back in action on Friday at 4:45 as they travel to Evanston to take on the Evanston Wildkits.