Disney Star, Olivia Rodrigo’s ‘Drivers License’ becomes a global hit

Sydney Pitera, Staff Writer

Olivia Rodrigo, just 17 years old, released her debut single ‘Drivers License’ on January 8th, and it is currently the No. 1 Hit across major streaming platforms. This song is everywhere. If you haven’t listened to this song, stream it now. 

In under a week, ‘Drivers License’ was spotted on Apple Music’s Top Chart: Global,  Spotify’s Top 200 Hit Charts, and Amazon’s Top Trending. The song officially broke Spotify’s new record for the most streams of a song in one week, with over 65 million. 

One might recognize Olivia Rodrigo from several Disney Channel TV shows. Rodrigo starred in Bizaardvark, where she started her acting career, and High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, where she took off with her singing career. On HSMTMTS, Rodrigo performed ‘All I Want’ and accumulated streams for her mock of Alessia Cara’s voice. For a Disney-born star, her success is surprising. 

‘Drivers License’ has taken over social media. The song paints a completely different picture of what the title represents, unexpecting a love story and a teen heartbreak. ‘Drivers License’ is a story about how the person she loves is with someone else. Listening to the hit will leave you in tears; reminiscent of your past and first love. 

“I got my driver’s license last week 

Just like we always talked about

‘Cause you were so excited for me 

To finally drive up to your house 

But today I drove through the suburbs 

Crying ‘cause you weren’t around 

And you’re probably with that blonde girl 

Who always made me doubt 

She’s so much older than me 

She’s everything I’m insecure about”

Rodrigo’s powerful lyrics will remind listeners of their heartfelt situations. Listeners can relate through her choice of words and voice to the loss of first love. With her tone, empowering lyrics, instruments, and voice, she makes everyone feel her pain. Her authenticity and experience move her audience in unexpected ways. 

For first time listeners, don’t be too quick to judge the song. Listen to the lyrics. From personal experiences, you can understand the remarkable comments about the hit on social media. The way Rodrigo tells her story through her music is breathtaking, leading her listeners to feel the exact way she feels about her possible break-up. 

Musical legends such as Taylor Swift, Niall Horan, Halsey, and Meghan Trainor have praised Rodrigo for her phenomenal talent and lyrics. Rodrigo celebrated on Instagram that her new song was ranked next to major artist Taylor Swift on iTunes Top Charts. Swift responded with Mama Swift’s iconic comment often used to describe her daughter: “I say that’s my baby and I’m really proud”. 

The big question remains: who is this song about? There is speculation that Rodrigo sings about HSMTMTS co-star, Joshua Bassett and potentially Disney star Sabrina Carpenter, but the rumors have not been confirmed. For now, fans await what Olivia Rodrigo has next in the mix.