Scouts Dominance Continues and Improves to 4-0

Connor Clark, Editor

VERNON HILLS – Kyle Wilhelm’s squad was back in action Monday night in the Vernon Hills Thanksgiving tournament, and put on yet another dominating display of basketball getting off to a scorching start to the 2019-20 season.

Sycamore fell to the hands of the Scouts by a score of 60-30, with Scouts leading scorers both being juniors, Finola Summerville recording a double-double with 17 points and 11 rebounds, and Lilly Trkla with 17 points.  

“We have multiple players who can score in many different ways,” Coach Wilhelm stated. “It has been nice having a balance of transition, three-point shooting, and post scoring. Versatility is going to make us our best.”

These exciting performances are not to discredit the opponent, even with the lack of Sycamore star Kylie Feuerbach. The Scouts cited a need to improve before playing them.

“I think Finola and I both know that with or without their star player, Sycamore is a good team,” junior Lilly Trkla commented, “plus I feel that confidence for both of us has improved this year, so we weren’t afraid to step it up.” 

Halle Douglass also made a tremendous impact on this game per usual contributing a double-double of her own with 11 points and 10 rebounds backing up why she is going to play big ten basketball at Wisconsin next year. 

“Halle has always done a great job of setting the tone,” Coach Wilhelm explained. “She can impact the game in so many ways despite not having a great shooting night.”

This is exactly the start Coach Wilhelm and the girls were looking for following a sectional title in 2018-19. With a young core with talented juniors and freshman in Bella Ranallo and Rachel Kaus, there is no limit to what this team can do with this phenomenal start. 

“Honestly I think the attitude of the team is pretty amazing right now,” Trkla said about the attitude of this team, “yes we did lose a lot of key players last year, but this year we have a team of girls who have been playing together forever so we already know how to make each teammate most successful.”

The Scouts have won their first four games by an average of 19 points, scoring an average of 56 points per game. Good is an understatement, dominant is factual.

The girls are set to take on Antioch in the final game of the tournament at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at Vernon Hills High School, and a chance to start 5-0.

QUICK FACTS:
Scouts Record: 4-0, 0-0
Next Game: November 26th, 2019 vs. Antioch @ Vernon Hills High School, 4:30 p.m.
Follow the game on the NFHS Network if you can’t make it!