Boys Golf Starts Season Off Strong

Luke Davis, Staff Writer

On Monday, the Scouts traveled down to Exmoor Country Club in Highland Park to play in a 9-hole Quad match against Highland Park, Glenbrook North, and Niles West. Lake Forest took home the win in astounding fashion, with a combined score of 141. 

Glenbrook North took 2nd place shooting a combined 154, Highland Park finished 3rd shooting a 160, and Niles West followed them with a 185.

This year’s Varsity Golf team has high expectations entering this season. Coming off of a year where the team came in 4th down at state, the team is returning four players who were part of that state-run in sophomore Jack Marshall, juniors Charlie Haggerty and Colin Jasper, and senior Patrick Moorehead. 

However, the team did lose two seniors who were part of that state-run in Sam Davis, who is playing at Denison, and Danny Fisher, who is playing at Miami of Ohio. 

To try and void that hole of losing two outstanding golfers to college, the team added juniors Pierce Grieve and Charlie Valentincic. 

In the latest tournament at Exmoor, Grieve was the low man on the team shooting an unbelievable 5-under 31. 

“We had some high expectations for Pierce coming into the year and he’s been a huge factor in our success the last couple of weeks,” said junior Flynn Bradley.

Bradley followed that up with a 1-under 35, with Valentincic close behind shooting an even par 36. 

“Charlie really came out of nowhere and put up some really solid numbers,” Bradley said. “We’re all hoping he can continue to do that come October.” 

With the help of newcomers Valentincic and Grieve, the Scouts look to stay hot and carry over the momentum from this win into the match on Wednesday as they host conference rival Stevenson at Lake Bluff Golf Course.