Scouts’ Lamp Injured, But Resilience Has Glued Boys Volleyball Team Together

Scouts’ junior Brennan Marzella celebrates after a block against Stevenson

Michael Raupp, Staff Writer

LINCOLNSHIRE — In the final regular season matchup of the Lake Forest Boys Volleyball season, the Scouts (23-11, 6-1) prevailed against familiar conference foe in Stevenson last Wednesday night. For those in attendance, fans witnessed a high-caliber brand of high school volleyball, and two teams near the top of their conference that could possibly face one another come the Harlem Sectional Championship on Tuesday, May 28th.

In a hard-fought contest that tested the Scouts’ resolve and stamina, Lake Forest lost the first set 23-25, however, soon showed their resilience that has kept them competitive throughout each game in the regular season to get back into the contest. This distinctive trait that not every team has lent them a hand in regaining their composure to win the final two sets 25-23 and 25-22 to end their regular season with a victory, and will assuredly play a factor on opposing teams come the upcoming postseason.

Additionally, the Scouts survived without senior and Stanford commit Kevin Lamp, as he got injured in the second set, but the team, like they have done all year long, did not fold under the pressure of the situation, making this win even more impressive heading into postseason play.  

If the team is without standout Lamp in the postseason, senior Spencer Capps, one of the three captains on the roster and starter on the right side, recapitulates the withstanding camaraderie that has held this year’s team together regardless of the circumstances at hand and the availability of their star player: “For guys to step up in the biggest game of the year is really special, playing without out our captain, we really showed how well-rounded our team is,” Capps said.  

Although the timetable for Lamp’s injury is unknown, being without him in a pressure situation before the start of the playoffs could be a major break for the team to adjust themselves to possibly playing without him in the near future.

Second captain, senior Justin McCarney, reiterated a similar positive outlook to Capps’ for the morale of the team heading into the postseason: “The game was full of ups and downs, but thankfully we came out on top. We found our groove, and this was the perfect match to prepare us for what we’re going to face during the playoffs. We have an awesome opportunity ahead of us, and we’re in a good position to do something great. It’s been an awesome season so far, but we’re nowhere near finished,” McCarney said.

The Scouts take the #3 seed heading into the IHSA regional semifinal. Their stellar play has earned themselves a bye in the regional quarterfinals, which takes place tonight. The winner of that game between #6 seeded Vernon Hills and #13 North Chicago will face the Scouts Tuesday in the competition gym.

As the Scouts face either Vernon Hills or North Chicago Tuesday, make sure to come out and support the boys volleyball team at 6:30 pm. If they win, the regional final is Wednesday at 6 pm. Whatever happens Tuesday night, both games will take place in the competition gym. Good luck, Scouts!