PGA Preview

PGA Preview

Tiger Woods winning The Masters was a surreal experience for all sports fans. With the hype around his victory coming to a close, the golf world moves onto the next major in this new 2019 schedule.

The PGA Championship boasts one of the best fields in golf, while also featuring 20 PGA professionals who qualified. Some of the world’s best will take their talents to New York State to test their abilities on one of the toughest golf courses on the planet.

The host for this year’s championship is the famed Bethpage Black. The course is notoriously difficult with even more added pressure this year. With the tournament being moved up to May, the cooler temperatures and the likelihood of rain in the New York area will wreak havoc to these tour pros who rarely experience anything below 70 degrees during the season.

Brooks Koepka is undoubtedly a favorite. The defending champion last year at Bellerive is coming off good form at the Texas Open and is looking to contend for the Wanamaker Trophy once again. 2017 champ Justin Thomas announced he is not going to be able to play due to a wrist injury, leading even more eyes to the elephant in the room: Tiger Woods. With a win this week, Woods has a good chance to capture the #1 spot in the World Golf rankings. His game is sharp, and he is currently the favorite to win, especially on a course he has had previous success on, winning the PGA Championship at Bethpage Black in 2002.

While all eyes are on the top players in the world like Rory McIlroy, Tiger Woods, and Jon Rahm, I look to underdogs like Patrick Cantlay and Kevin Kisner. I think these two, or players like them, will fly under the radar on their way to winning their first major.

Danny Fisher, Author

Danny Fisher is a member of the varsity golf team and is looking forward to studying in Oxford next year. He enjoys writing in the In the News section...