Boys Volleyball finishes the week 1-1

Carter Horan, Editor

LAKE FOREST, Ill. — Finishing last week with a tournament win and seven straight W’s, the Boys Volleyball team (11-3) is back on top. This week, they took on Lake Forest Academy (1-4) and Warren (6-12) on back-to-back nights. Both teams struggled to start the season but have shown great improvements, especially Warren. The Caxys and Blue Devils both battled, and the Scouts finished 1-1 on the week.

In the win against LFA, Justin McCartney assists on 31 plays and Thomas Tustison led the way with nine kills. The Sophomore is a force to be reckoned with on the net and will be their #1 guy in the upcoming years. The boys took a commanding lead with a 25-13 win the first game, but LFA forced a third game after defeating the Scouts 20-25 in the second set. As usual, Jack Hartline defended the back row with 24 digs. He’s an essential member of the team that many don’t recognize. In the third game, the boys didn’t take their foot off the gas. Kevin Lamp finished with 8 kills and the Scouts crowned themselves champions of the battle of Route 60 (25-13, 20-25, 25-13).

And just yesterday, the Scouts fell to the Warren Blue Devils; their first conference loss of the season. Warren has double-digit losses on the season, but their wins over Lake Forest and Libertyville have shown that they have the potential to be a conference contender. They lack size on the inside but the power of Outside Hitter Eli Gundeman was too much for the boys to handle. Warren defeated LF in straight sets 22-25, 19-25 and improved to 6-12 on the season with the win.

Next Monday, the Boys Volleyball team (11-3) take on the Wildkits of Evanston (4-7) in a non-conference match. Stay tuned to TFS for all your latest news regarding the team.