Scouts Cruise Past Lane Tech in Season Opener

Lake Forest's Colton Pfeifer steps into his swing in the third inning of play.

John Torosian

John Torosian

John Torosian

After a couple of cancellations to start their season due to the Chicago spring weather, the Varsity Boys’ Baseball team finally got a chance to see what they’re made of against Lane Tech. While the chilly, overcast skies didn’t provide the most enjoyable playing conditions, that didn’t affect the Scouts one bit.

The Scouts headed into this matchup coming off of weeks of preparation as a team, preceded by months of working hard in the batting cages. Thus, expectations were certainly high, as many players felt this would be the game where they’d finally “really show where [their] offense is at as it’s the first time [they will be] seeing live pitching,” said Brady Christoph.

For a team that struggled mightily at the plate last year, the ‘Boys of Summer’ didn’t show any sign of that as they put up a “slaughter rule” against a helpless Lane Tech team. Things got started when the Scouts opened up in the first inning with a six spot, courtesy of a Luke Chlystek 2 run triple and an RBI single from Senior Co-Captain Will Davis.

The Scouts held onto this 6-0 lead moving through the second inning, and the big lead set the stage for a big third inning as well. Davis kicked things off with his second hit of the day (ultimately an RBI double), and, with the bases loaded, senior Peter Turelli managed to hit two Scouts in with a single.

However, to Lane Tech’s chagrin, the third inning was nowhere near over. Breck Nowik finished his perfect hitting day with a home run towards the end of the third, extending the Scouts’ lead to 12. From there, both teams remained locked in to their respective scores until the game’s finish two innings later.

“It was amazing being outside on our home field for the first time in months,” said Turelli. “The energy was extremely high throughout the whole team, which lead to our overwhelming victory over Lane Tech. I expect a lot out of this team and know that we can achieve something very special if we continue to work hard and play as a single unit.”

As the season opener, this matchup definitely set a high precedent for the Scouts moving forward. Junior Michael Vallone’s expertise on the mound is a promising sign of success to come, especially considering the pitching staff’s depth this year.

On a separate note, the Scouts also found success when it came to musical choices in between at-bats; classic tunes like “Let It Be” from The Beatles and “Stayin’ Alive” by The Bee Gees added the element of fun to this tight-knit group of guys.

This Saturday, the Scouts will face off against the Lakes Community Eagles in another home game. The Eagles have also seen all of their previously scheduled games canceled, so this will undoubtedly be another crucial game for both teams.

About the Contributors
John Torosian, Managing Editor

John Torosian is a senior at Lake Forest High School and the current Managing Editor of TFS who keeps himself busy playing golf, tennis, and swimming....

Danny Fisher, Author

Danny Fisher is a member of the varsity golf team and is looking forward to studying in Oxford next year. He enjoys writing in the In the News section...