Boys Volleyball Improves to 2-0 with win over Carmel

Carter Horan, Editor

MUNDELEIN, Ill. —A quick turnaround from Monday’s W, the boys (2-0) headed West for a non-conference battle against the Corsairs of Carmel Catholic High School (0-2). Last year, the Corsairs brought home a Regional Championship along with their third straight 20+ win season. But as for this year, they’ve started the season 0-2 and have struggled to find their way as a team. Led by Pepperdine commit Michael Scott, the 6’7” outside hitter has caused problems for LF the past two years but is yet to come away with a W. For their last game before the break, the Scouts managed to outsmart Carmel and cruise to 2-0.

Sticking to their plan the entire game, the Scouts jumped out to an early lead thanks to Thomas Tustison. The Sophmore paired together a number of kills to put Carmel on their heels early. And to finish the set, Kevin Lamp contributed in a variety of ways on both offense and defense. The boys in blue took home the first set 25-14. In the second set, Brennan Marzella picked up right where he left off Monday night. He has continued to bring a spark of energy to the hardwood and will be a key piece of the puzzle for next year’s squad. And to finish, hitter Will Manzer and setter Justin McCartney defended to a T, only letting up 12 points in the second game. In the end, the Boys Volleyball continued to impress as they conquered Carmel in straight sets (25-14, 25-12).

Senior Kevin Lamp spoke on what fuels their success.

“[We] don’t have any glaring weaknesses. [We’re an] all-around solid team with good chemistry.”

With an upcoming week off for Spring Break, the Scouts will wait until Wednesday, April 3rd when they face Mundelein (0-2) at home. For the first conference game of the year, both teams will be looking to start with a tally mark on the left category. But for now, enjoy your spring break and stay tuned for more news regarding this year’s Boys Volleyball team.