Boys Volleyball Starts Strong Against Rival Highland Park

Carter Horan, Editor

LAKE FOREST, Ill. —Looking forward to a year that holds high expectations, the Boys Volleyball team (1-0) opened up the season at home against their North Shore rival, the Highland Park Giants (0-1). Coming off a tough 14-18 record last season, the Giants were excited to start their season fresh. Some of their main contributors returning this year include 6’ 5” middle Jack Sakanich and hitter Josh Rohn. But, the Scouts didn’t back down to the challenge. The senior-heavy group came to play and took down the Giants in straight sets, just like they did a year ago.

With a starting lineup consisting of four seniors, two juniors, and a sophomore, Coach Wolf is all in on playing guys with experience. The Scouts came out of the gates hot and never turned back. Senior Kevin Lamp showed just why he deserves to be a Stanford commit, opening the game with a handful of kills. Spencer Capps also contributed, excited for a larger role on this year’s team. To close out the first game, the boys cruised onto a 25-16 win.

In the second game, the Scouts didn’t let up, bringing the heat once again. Junior Jack Hartline took advantage of his first game as a Varsity Libero, making up from last year’s graduation of 3-year starter Jake Danneker. Lamp added eight more kills in the second set and alongside key blocks from Capps and Brennan Marzella, the Scouts took home their first victory of the season (25-16, 25-15).

To close out the week, the Boys Volleyball team will head West Wednesday night as they take on Carmel Catholic before spring break. The Corsairs finished 22-16 last season and will be a great test for the Scouts as they look to create an undefeated win streak early on in the season. Make sure to check back on The Forest Scout for the latest updates on Boys Volleyball.