Girls’ Soccer Season Preview

Girls’ Soccer Season Preview

After a long, cold winter, the spring sport season is finally here. Today marks the first day of the Girls’ Soccer season. After three days of tryouts, the 2019 team will consist of 24 girls who are excited and ready for their season to commence. The Scouts are led by head Coach Ty Stuckslager and assistant coaches Meaghan Laughlin and Steve Douglass. This year’s team is hoping for the same success they had just five years ago when they won the 2014 State Championship. The Scouts only lost six seniors from last season so the team is comfortable with each other’s playing style.

Last year the team unfortunately lost in regionals against Libertyville in an upsetting double overtime last minute goal from the Wildcats. This season, the Scouts intend to come back with a vengeance and work harder so they can extend their postseason run with their eyes set on the State Championship game. With 18 returners, the girls should be an even stronger team than last year. The now-veteran group of returners is expecting a competitive year in the 2A division.

“We will be able to get back into the swing of things very quickly. With all of our returners, we will be able to mesh well together and continue to grow as the season progresses,” senior midfielder Ashley Bufe adds.

The Scouts defense looks strong this season with many power defenders as well as junior starting goalie Sophia Divagno. The team has a wealth of quick forwards who will add much needed speed to the frontline. Key players to look out for this year would include senior two-year-captain Leland Keller, senior captain Ainsley Allan, and junior midfielder Cami Esplin. While the team is comprised of mostly returners, the six new members will look to add some speed and new skills sets.

In just under two weeks, Head Ty Stuckslager and his talented group will open their season March 12th on their home turf against St. Viator. Expect big things from the Girls’ Soccer Team this spring!

Don’t forget to come to EVEREVE at 248 Market Square this Sunday March 3rd 11:00am-1:00pm to shop and support the Girls’ Varsity Soccer Team! 15% of the sales will be donated to the LFHS Girls’ Soccer Program to help us purchase heart monitors.

Logan Hanekamp, Editor

Logan Hanekamp is a senior at Lake Forest High School who is a dedicated field hockey and lacrosse player. She loves good weather, her dog (Cody), and...