Scouts Go .500 Over Weekend Slate

Scouts Go .500 Over Weekend Slate

Bobby Winebrenner, Boys Basketball Beat Reporter

While many of Lake Forest’s students spent Friday night and Saturday afternoon preparing for Turnabout, the Boys’ Basketball Team had themselves a doubleheader over the weekend. The Scouts saw Waukegan come to the Competition Gym on Friday and traveled to Gurnee to take on Warren on Saturday in a rescheduled game after last Tuesday was postponed due to inclement weather. Friday night’s tilt finished with a score of 58-45 in favor of the visiting Bulldogs and on Saturday the Scouts escaped with a road victory in overtime: 51-49.

Friday 2/8: Waukegan Bulldogs

Friday’s contest was dictated by the visitors all game. While the Scouts hung around early, they couldn’t keep up with the athleticism and length of Waukegan. A 1-3-1 zone caused fits all night and led to numerous turnovers which finished with dunks on the other end.

Keeping Waukegan off the glass was certainly a priority for Lake Forest; however, the feat is easier said than done. The Bulldogs seemed to always have an opportunity for second chance points which is something that the Scouts weren’t really able to prevent. Coach Phil LaScala’s team didn’t necessarily deal with foul trouble but the Bulldogs seemed to be getting to the line early and often.

In a game in which Waukegan had no means of slowing down, Lake Forest had to capitalize on all the open looks they got. This wasn’t the case as a few open layups rattled out for the Scouts and open threes weren’t always falling. Lake Forest wasn’t quite as aggressive in transition as their counterpart either which ultimately led to their demise.

Saturday 2/9: Warren Blue Devils

After defeating Warren at home earlier in the season, the Scouts knew Saturday’s matchup would be one in which the Blue Devils were hungry for revenge. Unlike most games this season, Lake Forest came out of the gates hot. They jumped out to an early 18-10 lead after the first quarter but stalled on offense in the second and third periods.

A combined 11 points for the Scouts over those next two quarters made for a 34-29 Warren lead heading into the fourth. Thankfully for Lake Forest fans, the fourth quarter was more like the first. The Scouts outscored their counterparts 16-11 over the final period and sent the game into overtime. Crawford Bolton and Jake Fisher both had key quarters in pushing their squad to extra time.

In overtime, Bolton got the first bucket for Lake Forest and they never looked back. They went on to win 51-49 and complete a 1-1 stretch over the back-to-back games. Bolton led the Scouts with 20 points and 10 rebounds and Fisher added 15 points with seven assists. The duo cut their combined turnover count from 13 to three from Friday to Saturday as well.

The Scouts are back in action on Tuesday on the road at Zion Benton.

Bobby Winebrenner, Editor

Bobby Winebrenner returns to The Forest Scout as a senior. He spent his summer playing golf with his dad and working as a camp counselor. He plays lacrosse,...