Scouts Breeze By Pirates By More Than Double Their Score

Eddie Scheidler, Girls Basketball Beat Reporter

LAKE FOREST, IL. – In a a game defined by its runs and momentum shifts, the sport of basketball is about as freewheeling and fast-paced as you’ll find. Behind a 36-3 run ignited by a deep three at the end of the first quarter by senior Grace Tirzmalis, the Girls’ Varsity Basketball Team raced to the finish line and never looked back in a whopping 76-30 victory over the visiting Palatine Pirates.

Believe it or not, the Scouts surprisingly found themselves down early on in the competition as the home team trailed by a score of 10-2 with just under five minutes to go in the first. But with 4:25 on the clock, senior Ellie Pearson found a streaking Tirzmalis in transition from beyond the arc to give the Lake Forest offense the spark they needed to get back into the contest. On arguably their best shooting night of the season, the Scouts’ 50% from the field (28-56) was in full effect in the first, as the scoreboard favored Coach Kyle Wilhelm’s group with a score of 22-13.

The second quarter began where the first had left off: the Scouts comfortably in control of things. Just a minute into the second period, a miscommunication by the Palatine defense allowed for a wide open corner three from Tirzmalis. On the ensuing possession, senior Ainsley Allan drilled a three of her own. Defensively speaking, sophomore Finola Summerville was largely responsible for the Pirates’ inability to produce on the offensive end, as she came up with a myriad of steals, blocks, and rushed passes. And with 16 ticks left in the half, sophomore Molly Fisher found Tirzmalis from 3-point land yet again to extend the lead to 28, with the score 48-20.

After the break, the game was simply out of hand. The Scouts continued to shoot the lights out of the building and the Pirates lacked the answers to make a comeback even remotely possible. Despite being limited to just 13 in the quarter, Wilhelm’s unit boasted a 61-30 edge over the visitors going into the fourth. The final period was a similar story, with several reserves finding quality playing time. Not to mention, the game concluded with the Pirates being held scoreless throughout the final quarter of play.

When it was all said and done, nine different players scored for the Scouts. Tirzmalis led all scorers with 22 points and three steals, while Summerville totalled 13 points, eight rebounds, and three steals. Sophomore Lily Trkla had a night for herself, racking up 11 points and four rebounds. Junior Halle Douglass continued to be the steady pulse of the Scouts’ offense, contributing nine points, six rebounds, and five assists. As a whole, the team connected on 10-20 (50%) of their looks from 3-point territory: some of the best shooting numbers we’ve seen all year.

With the new win streak now at five, Lake Forest (21-6, 8-3) looks to surpass their previous season-high of nine straight as they welcome Waukegan (1-16, 0-10) to the Competition Gym Friday for Senior Night.

Eddie Scheidler, Editor

Eddie Scheidler returns to the Forest Scout for his senior year. He's a member of the Varsity Football team, plays an active role in student council, loves...