Scouts Upset Blue Devils in Conference Tilt


Bobby Winebrenner, Boys Basketball Beat Reporter

Down 39-28 with three minutes remaining in the third quarter, folding over and accepting a double-digit loss would’ve been the easy thing to do for Coach LaScala’s team. They were playing so hard to keep up with the Blue Devils all game, but this looked like the tipping point. However, the Scouts exhibited serious resilience and tenacity over the final three minutes of that quarter and into the fourth as they prevailed for the 48-46 victory.

Jake Fisher came out of the gates hot and stayed that way. He drilled a three to open the scoring for both teams and once again provided the floor general role this team needs on both ends of the floor.

While the Scouts’ shots weren’t always falling early, Warren’s certainly were. Sawyer Shrake seemingly couldn’t miss, but Lake Forest benefitted from a strong early showing from Stephen Young. Young found his way to the charity stripe twice early on to add to his layup in the low post.

The Blue Devils kept pushing right along as the Scouts struggled to find an answer on either side of the floor. An offensive attack was absent late in the first half and Coach LaScala begged something along the lines of, “If you are open, I want you shooting the ball! Don’t be afraid” after calling timeout.

The Scouts trailed 25-21 at the half, but the early portion of the third quarter was all Warren. Fastbreak points and turnovers hurt the Scouts, but strong defense and an overwhelming interior game kept them in it to end the third. The fourth quarter was about as exciting as the Comp Crazies have seen all year.

One of Tommy Hanson’s four three pointers extended the Scouts’ run to 13-0 and made the score 41-39. From there, the two teams were about as competitive as it gets. Warren added two quick buckets to respond, but a huge “and-one” from Crawford Bolton made the score 44-43 with two minutes remaining.

To no one’s surprise, Shrake drilled another open three pointer to give himself 19 points and his Blue Devils the lead: 46-44. 40 ticks were left and Hanson wanted another piece of the madness. The small forward confidently pulled up from deep and answered Shrake’s three with one of his own: 47-46, 20 seconds remaining. Shrake was unable to add to his total as he missed a deep two pointer on the ensuing possession. To cap the night, Fisher added a free throw and finalized the Lake Forest victory.

Many were hoping a third offensive threat would step up after last week’s batch of games. Tommy Hanson answered that call, and then some. The senior forward was pivotal in tonight’s win and in moving the Scouts to 4-4 (2-1). Warren’s loss dropped them to 4-3 (1-2) and proved that each night’s a battle in this skilled North Suburban Conference.