Thursday’s 13: Porter Weisberg

Thursdays 13: Porter Weisberg

Kean O'Connor, Contributor

Porter Weisberg is a Senior at LFHS and a member of the Chicago Rowing Foundation.

When and why did you start rowing?

I started to row this summer. I was at a couple of camps in July before I started practicing with the team at Chicago Rowing Foundation in August. I originally became interested in rowing last year when I started visiting colleges. I was introduced to a couple coaches through my uncle, who had rowed in highschool and college, and that was enough to grab my interest and eventually led me to try out the sport.

Most people at the high school aren’t familiar with rowing, how does it differ from other sports you have participated in?

I have always played a sport with a ball and on some kind of court or field. Rowing definitely changed all that, everything from being in a boat to erging was completely new to me.

How is it similar?

Rowing is very much a team sport, just like nearly every other sport at LFHS. I’d say it’s most similar to Cross Country, where you’re competing in a team but you’re also competing against yourself just as much as against any other opponent.

What is the hardest part about the sport?

2k’s.

Who is your biggest idol?

My rowing coach is definitely my idol. He’s a state and national champion and has competed all around the world. He has been super encouraging and is fundamental to all the progress I have made in the sport.

What is your favorite movie?

It’s a Wonderful Life. Hands down the best Christmas movie.

What is your biggest pet peeve?

Not being able to finish a test in time.

If you could spend one day with anyone, who would it be?

I would want to get lunch with Elon Musk and just pick his brain. I think anything more than just lunch would get sort of tiring.

What is your favorite subject in school?

I don’t think I have a favorite subject. I definitely have had a couple great classes but they’re all spread out throughout all the subjects.

Would you rather be able to see into the future or travel into the past ?

I would rather travel into the past than only just see into the future. I don’t think there would be much fun in knowing your future.

If your house was on fire, what three things would you take? (Family and pets are safe)

My guitar, a Sgt. Pepper’s record, and my watch.

If you could travel to anywhere in the world where would you go and why?

Oostburg, Wisconsin —  there’s a Pizza Ranch there.

Chips or fries?

Fries.