The Forest Scout Welcomes Rick Telander

A man wearing a suit and tie
Photo courtesy of the Chicago Sun-Times.

On Friday, March 9, The Forest Scout has the distinct honor of welcoming one of the nation’s top sportswriters, Mr. Rick Telander, into their office for a guest speech.

Telander, a Lake Forest resident, is the senior sports columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times. Before his work for the Sun-Times, Telander reported as a senior writer for Sports Illustrated. 

During his illustrious career in journalism, Telander has produced groundbreaking work in the arenas of print journalism, television, and film. He has authored eight books, including Heaven is a Playground, widely regarded as one of the most influential sports books of all time. His article in Sports Illustrated, “Your Sneakers or Your Life,” which chronicled teenagers across the country who were murdered for their sneakers in urban areas in the mid-90’s, received critical acclaim and is heralded as one of the most noteworthy and influential articles in the magazine’s storied history.  Telander, a Northwestern graduate–where he starred on the Wildcats football team–received the 2013 Ring Lardner award for excellence in sports journalism.

The Forest Scout is honored and privileged to have a journalist as widely respected as Telander visit us today. He will be sharing stories from his encounters in the Chicago sports scene, journalism tips and advice on the process of creating a story, as well as answering any questions. If you are free (no out of class passes will be written), please join us in welcoming Rick Telander to Lake Forest High School at 10:35 today in Room 356.