What’s Behind the Workout: Forever Om and Dailey Method

Grace Scheidler

I would consider myself somewhat of a class workout connoisseur. Over the years I’ve sampled the majority of the local offerings and have found that there are nuances among each of them that go far beyond the average calorie burn or Spotify playlist. Each has a different mentality within the class, a way of thinking they promote, and ultimately it is the mental aspect that keeps us coming back to our workout of choice, more than any physical attribute.

For those unfamiliar with Forever Om’s offerings, their main form of workout is hot yoga, specifically power vinyasa. Over the years, the yoga studio has become a place I can count on for a great workout, a perspective check, and a way to take a break from a stressful day at school. What separates a class at Forever Om from any other local offering is the atmosphere that permeates the place (even more than the ever-present humidity). When you walk into the studio, the first thing you see is a quote painted in grey block type against the back wall that says, “See the light in others and treat them as if that’s all you see.” You’ll also notice that there are no mirrors anywhere in the studio, something rather uncharacteristic for a workout studio. This is because Forever Om seeks to promote individual growth rather than using comparison to drive motivation during classes. Unlike classes I’ve taken in the past, instead of feeling like I’m competing against the person next to me, the focus is on where I am in the present moment, and where I can go from there. The teachers remind you to be grateful for all that you are able to do rather than any physical limitations.

Another popular workout destination is the Dailey Method in LF. They offer cardio with Dailey Cycle and promote strength-building through their barre method classes. When asked what keeps her coming back, Maeve Lewis, a regular at the studio as well as an employee there, said, “You know you’re always gonna get a good workout no matter what class you’re in. There’s a sense of accountability in doing the workouts when there’s other people around, and no matter what class you go to, the teachers make it personal and reward you for good effort. It’s a group class, but it’s personal because you’re able to interact with teachers throughout the class.” Their tagline is “aligning head and heart, soul and spine,” keeping in the theme of workouts that go beyond simple calorie burn.

What makes these two studios stand out is because they focus on the person rather than the body. If you’ve never tried a group workout class, or think that they’re not for you, I’d highly recommend both of these options. After all, they both offer discounted rates for students, so really, why wouldn’t you try it out?

Grace Scheidler, Author

Grace Scheidler is a senior at Lake Forest High School who is an active member of the cross country team. This is her second year as Editor in Chief of...