Which senior superlative best describes you?

Locked In: Detention Appreciation

Graphic courtesy of Derek Marshall.

The term “lock-in” is often used when one is able to fully focus their attention on something, block out all other distractions, and  get a ton of work done. Locking in, I find, can be very difficult to do when there are constant distractions around you making noises and begging for your attention.

However, there is one place where I find “locking in” very easy: detention. 

In detention, your biggest diversion is put into a bin, as your phone is the first thing requested from the supervisor. Then, you silently stumble your way over to your seat, dragging your backpack with you, and sit down.

At first, you are unsure of what to do. You flick your pencil a couple of times, stare off into space for a few seconds, but then pause. You are already bored but have no stimulant to reach for. The soundproof and desolate classroom has gotten to you.

Finally, an inevitable thought crosses your mind. I guess I’ll just get some work done, so I can do what I want later.

It is this thought that starts what I call, “the grind.” First, it’s just a small assignment you do as you try to pass the time, but before long, you get a feeling equivalent to a runner’s high. Nobody can stop you now, you are “dialed in.” Assignments are getting done at the speed of light, your hand is writing rapidly, and you suddenly begin to understand how Hamilton wrote the 51 Federalist papers in only eight months.

Unfortunately, though, nothing good lasts forever, and it’s not too long before a different sound than the one at your desk interrupts you, and it’s the voice of the mystery supervisor saying your time is up.

With joy and disappointment, you pack your things up, even though you are about to finish an assignment. You will now have to re-lock in to complete it, but this time, right next to your tempting phone.

Although LFHS detention will never be anywhere near an accurate depiction of John Hughes’s famous film “The Breakfast Club,” there are advantages – like “locking in” – that many tend to overlook.