5 Minute Passing Periods, is it Enough?

A clutter of seniors in the Senior Commons of LFHS. Photo taken by Dylan DiTomasso

“When there’s a 30-second walk, it can turn into a 2-minute walk just because people literally clump in the hallways and you can’t get around them,” says Alexandra Mower, a senior at LFHS. “What if I need to go to the bathroom, or if I have to talk to teachers in the hallway?”

Getting to classes on time is essential for students here, as accumulating 12 tardies in a class will result in a three-hour Saturday detention, but students question whether the amount of time given is appropriate to get to class.

A roadblock of students in the hallway at LFHS. Photo taken by Dylan DiTomasso

“Other than distractions, I think that slow walkers and clutter in the hallway can prevent me from getting to class on time,” said senior Griffin Werner.

Surprisingly, this was a common answer, with almost everyone we interviewed saying something about slow walkers and how traffic jams are a common occurrence in the hallways.

We wanted to test it for ourselves.  When students were in class we walked from the basement to the third floor. The entire walk took about three minutes. 

However, this was without factoring in the various elements that may block a student’s path to their classroom such as other students, bathroom or water breaks, and other distractions occurring. 

While these are rough estimates that don’t take into account every fine detail that prohibits students from getting to class on time, we think that if you were to run actual trials. They’d be somewhere close to our times. 

So, what’s the answer? Is the time given for passing periods enough?

No, the time given to us for each passing period is not enough. Through various factors like gossiping students standing in the halls and traffic around the stairwells most students will be slightly late to class. Being on time to class is an extremely important part of LFHS and it is getting increasingly hard to do that with such short passing periods.

View Comments (2)
$500
$800