Kansas City Shooting: Tragic but Not Surprising

Image from Wikimedia Commons

What began as a warm, pride-filled day for nearly one-million parade attendees resulted in chaos and horror. Following the Kansas City Chiefs’ second consecutive victory at the 2024 Super Bowl, the happy occasion was cut short when a shooting broke out during the celebratory parade on Feb. 14. 22 people were injured – half of them under age 16 – and a mother of two, Lisa Lopez-Galvan, was killed. 

On Feb. 16, two juveniles were arrested and taken into custody after being charged with alleged crimes related to the shooting. Following these arrests, on Feb. 20, Lyndell Mays of Raytown (23) and Dominic M. Miller (18) of Kansas City were charged with second-degree murder. Mays told authorities that he engaged in a dispute with another individual and eventually pulled out his gun. However, investigation is still being conducted as the underlying cause of the dispute, or why Mays decided to use his firearm, has not been solidified. 

Many attendees offered helpful hands to each other, both in evacuating the parade route and in attempting to identify potential culprits. Paul Contreras, a hero in this event, tackled a suspect after they had begun to flee the scene. Contreras spoke to authorities after his moment of bravery.

“It was just a reaction. I took him down, and as I took him down, I saw the weapon — the gun — fall to the ground,” he reported to NBC News.

Kansas City Police Chief Officer Stacey Graves expressed her deep disappointment in the event when speaking to the press: “I’m angry at what happened today. The people who came to this celebration should expect a safe environment.”

However, this tragedy wasn’t too unusual for Kansas City. Missouri has been struggling with a history of crime. In 2023 alone, 182 homicides shattered the lives of many Missourians, the majority of which involved a firearm. In 2021, Missouri ranked ninth-highest in gun deaths when compared to the rest of the nation. Missouri is also known for having some of the most lenient gun regulations in the U.S., allowing citizens to carry loaded firearms without a required permit or background check.

Missouri’s history of crime suggests there is a distinct correlation between the leniency of gun laws and the amount of firearm-related crime. If we allow for fewer gun restriction regulations, it is not surprising if crime rates increase.

In order to reduce these rates, one factor is obvious: there needs to be renewed legislation surrounding firearm purchase and usage in the entirety of the United States.

This event has frightened many LFHS students and staff. Many identifying as devout Chiefs fans, they can only imagine what they may have experienced if they had attended the parade. 

“Since other kids were shot, I can only begin to think about what might have happened if I were there. It’s scary,” senior Isabella Marsico said.

Senior Alivia Krebs recalls the violence at the 2022 Highland Park mass shooting and how this has changed her perspective on the current situation.

“I think it’s something that shouldn’t be as common, but it is. I can only imagine what people were going through at the Chiefs’ parade and how they were affected by it,” Krebs said.

I myself was involved in the Highland Park mass shooting. As a participant in the parade, I can vividly remember the pure terror that I, as well as everyone, experienced. Having to run from the danger without my parents or friends was terrible, and I  recall feeling completely helpless. That experience is something I never want anyone else to have to go through. 

With tragedies like these occurring too frequently, we cannot afford to sit idly by any longer. We need change, and we need it now. This concerns the safety of American people. Think about the children who lost their mother during this parade; their lives are permanently altered. There seems to be a trend across the nation where we are not motivated to make change until we are directly affected by the issue. Are we going to wait until something like this happens to our own family or friends to incite change? I pray not. 

It pains me that innocent people are so often caught in the crossfire of events like these, and I wish my voice was loud enough to make a difference on its own. However, it’s not; but, as a community, our united voices can be heard louder. Call for change, vote for those who support gun regulation, and we can achieve a safer America for all.

View Comments (10)
$500
$800