Which best describes your support for the ongoing student protests over the war in Gaza?

Sage’s Experience in Jamaica

Sage Sherman is a senior at LFHS. This summer she volunteered with an organization in Jamaica. She is involved in Special Olympics, Human Rights Club, and Big 2 Little. I spoke to Sage about her experiences with the group in order to raise awareness for issues occurring in Jamaica as well as her GoFundMe she created for a man named Calvin. This is her story. 

What was the organization you volunteered for called? What was their mission?

“Pivotal Directions, which is an international service non-profit that takes volunteers to struggling third-world countries.”

What motivated you to volunteer with this group?

“My passion has always been community service; it’s something I do three times a week. I sought out Pivotal Directions because I wanted to help the people who need it most on a larger scale. On my trip, we lived in Riverton, a community just outside of Kingston, Jamaica. I served the most marginalized and impoverished, abused and neglected children, a landfill neighborhood with feces all over the ground, and orphanages for the disabled. I genuinely do not have words to describe the sights I saw.”

What was your most memorable experience while volunteering?

“I watched a man die, like actually die. People in Riverton and Kingston do not have access to electricity to cool their homes. So they have to find it illegally. The wires had fallen overnight, so one brave man climbed a tree to fix it for his community. He was electrocuted. He died trying desperately to survive.”

What lessons/skills did you gain from this experience?

“Adaptability. Everyone needs something different and you have to do your best to accommodate that. I cooked meals, taught at schools, built homes, created a camp for kids without proper care, and bonded with people who confided in me about what they have endured. I think the hardest part for me was leaving. Realizing that while I got to go home to my well-conditioned house with food always on my plate, everyone else had to stay in Riverton.”

Would you recommend this experience with this particular group to others?

“YES!! Anyone who is passionate about service, comfortable in new environments, and able to help people in the ways they need it should absolutely consider a trip like this.”

How did you meet Calvin?

“I met Calvin when I was delivering food around the neighborhood. I met his family, who introduced me to Calvin and asked me to help. He is a 73-year-old former fisherman who struggles with mental illness. He won’t come out of his shelter, won’t bathe, can’t see doctors, and uses his floor as a bathroom. Calvin couldn’t hold a conversation with me, but he replied with the biggest grin I’ve ever seen when I handed him his food.”

Can you tell us about the gofundme you started for Calvin?

“People may not realize it, but even a $5 donation would make a huge difference! Your money would go towards building a humane shelter so he can live in dignity as every human should.”

Are there any personal stories or experiences that motivated you to create this fundraiser?

“I knew I had to do something the second I saw his shelter. His collapsing “home” is built of scrap materials like cardboard, rotting wood, and metal. A hole is in place of a door. After I met Calvin I went over to the Pivotal Directions leader and asked if there was anything we could do. He said that we were out of funds because all the donations went to younger people who needed it. The thing about Riverton is that literally every resident needs help. I know it’s impossible to help everyone but Calvin just stuck with me. On the flight home, I created the fundraiser.”

Have you received any support or positive feedback from the campaign so far?

“We’ve raised a lot of money so far! Our goal is $5k to rebuild his shelter so he and his family can have a humane place to live. The donations have slowed down, but the money we have raised has made a huge impact for Calvin.” 

How can people contribute and support your campaign?

“Through my GoFundMe: https://gofund.me/9d63d6ef! Honestly, anything helps, even just sharing the link!”

View Comments (1)
$600
$800