College Dorm Room Essentials

Graphic by Mary Carter

As someone who loves to be in control and unreasonably worries all the time about being unprepared for living alone for the first time, I can confidently say that the extensive TikTok research and many, many blogs I have read will leave seniors prepared and ready to take on dorm life! Here are my top recommendations:

Fan: I have read that having a fan in your dorm is a huge must! Not only does a fan provide some cool air, but it also acts as a noisemaker. Circulating air can keep your dorm fresh and cool to help your overall well-being as a student. This Amazon Dreo fan is the perfect and #1 pick for many college students. Fans are a fantastic option because only a few dorms have air conditioning and heating. 

Storage Ottoman: Storage is tight when living with someone else in a small dorm, and it can be hard to keep your room de-cluttered. A storage ottoman can act as a step next to your bed- especially because dorm room beds are so high- and the perfect space to keep things like snacks, shoes, and even extra school supplies. This Amazon CUYOCA storage ottoman is super affordable and the ideal addition to your dorm room. 

Mini Brita: Britas are suggested to all college students because they make clean and filtered water so accessible! Drinking water is so important, especially in college, to prevent catching any sicknesses, and feeling confident in your drinking water helps students stay hydrated. This Amazon Brita is so cute and tiny. It is the perfect size for your dorm room and so easy to refill!

Bedside Caddy/Organizer: A bedside caddy you can hang on the side of your bed will cure all your bedtime needs. While coming in many different styles, you can hold your cords, water bottle, phone, and anything you need. This Amazon Lilithye bedside caddy is a fantastic option with much room and many pockets to hold everything next to your bed.  

Stick-on LED Mirror Lights: Some vanity lighting will be necessary as it will help when doing makeup and provide better lighting in the horrible dorm room lighting. These Amazon SICCOO stick-on lights are perfect for reusing throughout the years in college and have different dim settings, so you can customize how bright they are! Light up your dorm with this fantastic pick.

Hanging Closet Organizer: Space will be limited when moving into a new closet space, and this hanging closet organizer is the perfect thing to put in your closet. Whether it holds shoes or sweatshirts, this can help maximize your living space and reduce clutter throughout your closet. This Amazon YOUDENOVAhanging closet organizer is an affordable option for hanging in your closet. Many people have said they do NOT regret bringing one of these to school! 

Mini Vacuum: Dorm rooms are your own space, meaning you must keep it clean. While staying up-to-date with your laundry can be self-explanatory, dust and crumbs are inevitable, and a mini vacuum is a great solution! They are affordable, easily operated, and easily stored. This Amazon Black+Decker mini vacuum is an excellent choice if you want to find one that is inexpensive and easy to use! 

Extension Cord: An extension cord is a MUST for dorm rooms. Charging your phone next to your raised bed or even plugging in your fan next to your bed is essential to many college students. This Amazon Slimline extension cord is a great choice. Being a reliable, trustworthy, and Amazon top pick for many, you will not be let down if you bring this to school!

Shower Caddy: Carrying all your shower products to a communal shower can be a hassle and embarrassing, so a shower caddy is a great solution. To be able not to have to make trips back and forth from your dorm to the shower is such a game-changer. A mesh shower caddy is so easy to use while holding everything you need for your morning and nighttime trips to the shower. This Amazon Eudele shower caddy is a good choice for students because it won’t mold and has pockets to hold all your shower supplies.