Which senior superlative best describes you?

The Senioritis Virus

Senior+William+Cathlina+struggling+to+study+in+the+senior+commons.+
Senior William Cathlina struggling to study in the senior commons.

“I’m not worried about classes at all and I just want to enjoy my senior year as much as possible,” senior Brandon Panagoplos said. 

Seniors are only a month into second semester, but symptoms of Senioritis have been running rampand around the halls since August. Every corner you turn, you are bound to run into a senior suffering from Senioritis. 

Most seniors are still awaiting college decisions, but they have done all the work they ever needed to get into college, so why are we still in high school?

“I’m just excited to get out of school,” senior Lauren Eglite said.

Juniors, sophomores, and even freshmen, listen up because this is how you might be feeling when you’re a senior. All students dream of becoming a senior and hopefully having a nice, laid-back, and relaxed year, but no one warned you about the tragic disease that takes over the minds of seniors. 

We’ve heard the rumors of Senioritis but never thought that it would be as intense as it is. 

And it’s only February.

“It is a real thing,” senior study hall advisor Mrs. Hektor said.“There is a definite difference in seniors’ dedication to school and turning assignments in compared to first semester.” 

Mrs. Hektor is very aware of seniors’ commitment to school during the last semester and she monitors all of the missing assignments that seniors get during the year. 

“I had one psych project that involved three terms that I had to turn in, and I turned them in two months after the project was due,” senior Thomas Hasselbring said.

Hektor also said how there is a visible uptick in missing assignments and poor grades during second semester. 

This horrible disease makes the second semester of senior year feel like the last class of the day. Constantly watching the clock and counting down the minutes until the weekend. We’re all just trying to get out of school as soon as possible. 

But for some seniors, they don’t have the option to slack off and forget about school. 

“Once I committed, it made it really hard for me to have motivation because I felt like I was already done but I still need to keep my grades up, and it’s hard to stay motivated to do so,” said senior Alexandra Palmberg, who has already committed to the University of Wisconsin-Madison for rowing. 

“And then especially once I was officially admitted to the school it made it even harder to have motivation to do work for classes and study for tests,” she said. 

Senior Ainsley Smith attempting to study in the senior commons.

Some symptoms of Senioritis might include loss of motivation, grogginess, and a general burnt out feeling. 

“High school already feels like it ended but I’m just required to be here,” senior Stella Fox said. 

And that’s the case for most seniors. The majority of seniors have been putting in minimal effort so they can focus on enjoying their last year of high school. 

“I haven’t studied for a single test or final this whole year,” senior Bryan Davis said.“I normally study the week before a test but this year I haven’t studied at all.” 

As the year progresses, the Senioritis disease grows. So please, if you see a senior in the halls be sure to ask them about their day and how they’re doing. Please do not ask them about grades, college, and assignments.