Which best describes your support for the ongoing student protests over the war in Gaza?

The Case of the Missing Cinnamon Roll

Graphic courtesy of Derek Marshall.

Soft, warm, and gooey.

These three words are what I would use to describe what once was, The Grind‘s honey bun, or most commonly referred to as, the cinnamon roll.

Here’s how it went: You would walk into the Grind, see this delicacy on the pastry shelf, and heat it up in the microwave for 15 seconds to reach the ideal level of excellence. The first bite was truly something comparable to a Cinnabon cinnamon roll standard. Although both may be different breeds, it is important to not let that fool you from how great this doughy masterpiece really was. 

The question is: where did it go? I don’t know, but the answers are something that I crave.

When I paid a visit to the grind, the devastating answer was revealed.

“It isn’t on the order guide any more,” Grind worker Maria Cardoso said. “At the beginning of last school year, they decided that less is more so they decided to focus on items that the students liked the best, and so [the cinnamon roll] was one of the things that got cut out.”

As a devoted fan of the cinnamon roll, I feel defeated knowing that the delight is within grasp, but is instead being left out due to a loss in a popularity contest that nobody knew was going to decide the future of the pastry pact. I now wonder maybe if I purchased the roll one more time that it would’ve been enough to make it stay. Instead, it was tossed into the graveyard of lost desserts, along with the “Sinful Chocolate” Brownie.

The Cinnamon Roll joins the Sinful Brownie in the graveyard of lost deserts. Photo courtesy of Derek Marshall.

For now, anyone who is trying to fill the void of the intricacy the cinnamon roll once offered will now have to either settle with a classic glazed donut, or the boston cream donut, which is good once in a blue moon. 

But maybe all hope isn’t lost.

“Actually just a couple of weeks ago they accidentally sent us six boxes of the glazed donut twists which we didn’t order,” Cardoso said.

So I guess you never know, maybe when you walk into the grind one day you might see the cinnamon roll sitting back where it belongs: in The Grind.