Hudson Scroggins Emerging as a Star Amidst Scouts’ Successful Season 

Junior Hudson Scroggins, an emerging star for the Lake Forest Varsity Basketball team, has become a large contributor to the Scouts’ success this season. The 6’7” forward is in his second year with the team, but has not been an every-night starter until this season. 

During his sophomore season, Scroggins often came off the bench due to an array of talented juniors and seniors: Clemson freshman Asa Thomas, Ohio Wesleyan freshman Anothony Mordini, Lawrence freshman Noah Portalatin, and current senior Tommie Aberle left Scroggins with little minutes to contribute. Even though Scroggins was reliable on the glass, his point production was nowhere near to what it is this year. 

But now that last year’s seniors have graduated, Scroggins is making the most of his opportunity. While continuing to rebound well, he has also developed into a dynamic scorer. Scroggins is averaging 13.7 points and 6.6 rebounds per game, helping the Scouts achieve their 18-5 overall record and 9-1 conference record.  Due to his large frame, Scroggins collects a majority of his points in the paint and from the free throw line. But this year, he has demonstrated his ability to shoot from range when necessary, making him a scary three-level scorer. Scroggins highlighted his scoring capabilities in a three game stretch of 20+ points against Warren, Mundelein, and Waukegan- all leading to victories for Lake Forest. In a year where contributions were needed outside of Aberle to be successful, Scroggins has stepped up. 

Photo courtesy of Luke Cheng

In preparation for the season, Scroggins spent almost every day practicing with college athletes and trainers, attending camps, playing AAU, and even just shooting around in his driveway. “He’s definitely super committed,” older brother Lucas Scroggins said. “He was going to the gym to get up shots twice a day.” The constant urge to have a basketball in his hands led to an investment most young athletes aren’t willing to make; it’s allowing Scroggins to play basketball at a dominant level. As a result of his hard work and success, Scroggins has developed a new level of confidence, “When your skills get better, it helps your confidence,” Head Coach Phil LaScala said. In situations where he would often pass the ball last year, Scroggins is looking to create shots for himself or his teammates. In addition to his self-confidence, Scroggins has earned the trust of Coach LaScala as well, “Whenever somebody improves, and you can see the improvement, then you’re going to give him the approval to shoot the ball more,” LaScala said. 

Scroggins is having a remarkable break-out season, impressing on a nightly basis. As he gathers more experience at the varsity level, Scroggins, alongside Aberle, could pave the way this year for a deep playoff run in the 3A division. The Scouts take on Lake Zurich tonight at 7:00 p.m at home.