Which best describes your support for the ongoing student protests over the war in Gaza?

What’s the Better Buy: Hydroflask or Stanley?

Photo courtesy of Knight Errant

Stanley Cups have proven to be very reliable and sturdy water bottles the past few months as they have started to gain mass popularity. However, the question of whether the HydroFlask – Stanley’s beloved predecessor – is better than the Stanley, still lingers.

Stanley has been a brand for nearly 110 years, but only recently did they start to market their water bottles for teens and young adults. They introduced the cup in 2016 but only started marketing it more recently. The most appealing features of the Stanley Cup are the large handle, its ability to keep drinks hot for five to seven hours and cold for 9 to 11 hours, and the most pressing fact that it fits into most cup holders of most cars. 

The Stanley company started in 1913 and targeted their products towards working men, for the purpose of workdays, road trips, and outdoor adventures. In 2012 Stanley mentioned that their product resonated with a 30-year career veteran policeman and a retired army soldier.

With the help of three women, Linley Hutchinson, Ashlee LeSuer, and Taylor Cannon, Stanley started targeting their products towards everyday lifestyles, not just activities for working men.

Back in 2017 when the three girls first discovered the Stanley Cup, it was at risk of being discontinued. The girls posted on social media boasting about the product and convincing others to buy. They were given a mission by the Stanley Vice President to direct a wholesale order and sell a minimum of 10,000 cups. They sold 5,000 cups in four days and the next 5,000 cups in an hour.

Many of the executive members of Stanley say the main reason their Stanley Quencher is so popular is consumers posting on TikTok and sharing their experiences.

Stanley’s largest opponent, Hydroflask, was started in 2009 and was introduced by a couple (Travis Rosbach and Cindy Weber) who were tired of drinking lukewarm water. They used the same technology that Thermos has been using since 1904 – only they enhanced the quality – making the Hydroflask a stylish water bottle for everyday life.

Hydroflask keeps drinks cold for up to 24 hours and hot for up to 12 hours. Unlike the Stanley, the Hydroflask’s cylinder-like form does not fit into most car cup holders, making them harder to travel with. Unlike the Stanley, though, the Hydroflask has a honeycomb structure to help its insulation, which makes it 100% leakproof and easy to throw in a bag.

An even more appealing feature of the Hydroflask is the distinct and trendy look with the option to personalize individual bottles. There are up to 14 different colors of Hydroflasks, not to mention there are limited edition collections coming out frequently, much like Stanley who has started selling multiple sets at different times. Another positive attribute of Hydroflask is the wide variety of sizes in the bottles and the variety of lid types which are all leakproof.

Though these two companies compete with each other, they also have to compete with dozens of other water bottle brands that have almost the same technology as Stanley and Hydroflask. Despite this, the two brands remain at the top of everyone’s to-buy list.

If you happen to find yourself needing a go-to water bottle for day-to-day purposes, both of these water bottles are a perfect choice. All-in-all, however, the Stanley has proven to be a more manageable and helpful water bottle for everyday lifestyle.

$600
$800