Having the Option to Pass/Fail a Class

Graphic by Coralis Colon
Graphic by Coralis Colon

Each semester seniors have the opportunity to pass/fail a class. This means that if someone isn’t satisfied with their grade, they can choose to have a P (pass) or an F (fail) on their transcript instead of the actual letter grade.

With this being said, there are some advantages and disadvantages to passing/failing a class. 

If a P appears on your transcript, it means that the grade isn’t factored into your GPA, which could provide relief for seniors who have worked extremely hard throughout high school. 

The thought of being able to pass/fail a class allows seniors to prioritize what they feel is most important, whether it’s family priorities, work, their mental health, or of course, college applications. 

Seniors find it much easier to maintain a healthy balance when they choose to pass/fail a class. 

“Not worrying about the class as much because you already know you have a P is great,” senior Thomas Hasselbring said. 

The importance of submitting college applications on time by either the October/November deadlines or the January deadlines takes up a lot of time and focus from actual school work. 

Not only has it been a priority to submit college applications on time, but also to get into college. 

Many colleges require mid-year grade reports and final transcripts at the end of the year because they don’t want to see a significant decline in a student’s grades. Having the P on your transcript means that colleges can’t see what your final grade in that particular class ended up being. 

However, there are downsides in electing to pass/fail a class. 

Many colleges may assume the worst when seeing a P on your transcript. If they assume it’s a D, the lowest possible passing grade, then choosing to go to the pass/fail route doesn’t help in terms of getting into college. At that point, it may be in a student’s best interest to just keep the letter grade, do minimal work, and get a C. 

The pass/fail option also disallows students to show improvements in their grades during their senior year. It takes away some ability to compensate for underperforming grades in past years, which prevents colleges from seeing academic progress.

Although college applications cause a very stressful time among seniors, the pass/fail option is a way to combat the stress many students face. Seniors must understand whether or not it’s the best option for them.