Triple Threat: Junior Athlete Ryan Rice is a Three-Sport Varsity Star

Photo Courtesy of Colin Peters
Photo Courtesy of Colin Peters

Junior Ryan Rice is a three-sport Varsity Athlete. Rice competes in field hockey, soccer, and basketball. The commitment and drive it requires to play three sports at such a high level is very demanding. As a sophomore, Rice made both the varsity basketball and soccer teams. This fall, Rice joined the varsity field hockey team.

Rice has played soccer since the age of five and has participated in a variety of soccer clubs. She began playing basketball in first grade but started playing competitively in fourth grade. However, as a passionate athlete, Rice took up field hockey for the first time her sophomore year. Despite this, Rice was able to make the varsity team her junior year.

Photo Courtesy of Colin Peter

A field hockey teammate of Rice, senior Maisie Henshaw, speaks on Rice’s impact.

“She’s so determined to do the best she can, [which is] why she is on three varsity sports because she worked hard to make them. She will always be working harder and harder to get everything out of it. She is really good at making friendships with her teammates,” said Henshaw.

Rice’s coaches for soccer and field hockey also spoke on behalf of her athleticism and teamwork. 

Cat Catanzaro, Girls’ Varsity Field Hockey Coach, commends her “kind nature [and] unassuming personality.”

“Her ability to use her natural athleticism to contribute to multiple varsity sports at Lake Forest High School is truly impressive since she is competing against other athletes who specialize in those sports,” Catanzaro said.

Girls’ Varsity Soccer Head Coach Ty Stuckslager feels that Rice is “is a rare triple threat.”  

“She also is the most supportive teammate, always celebrating other’s successes over her own. Ryan’s joy while playing is evident and this positivity is contagious and helps create and support a positive team dynamic,” Stuckslager said.

Senior Adah Bodine, a soccer and basketball teammate of Rice, feels she makes a tremendous impact on the team dynamic. Rice and Bodine have been on many teams together. From 5th grade to now.

“I love being Ryan’s teammate.She always brings up everyone’s moods and makes the team environment very happy and positive,” Bodine said.