Which best describes your support for the ongoing student protests over the war in Gaza?

Heart and Triumph: Varsity Field Hockey Team Finishes Season Third In State

The team celebrating a goal. Photo courtesy of Maisie Henshaw

The Varsity Field Hockey team’s hunt for the state championship had come to an end. They achieved a 3rd place State title after hard-fought games against Evanston and Glenbrook South. Their dedication and determination this season did not go unnoticed. 

You could feel the heat at the semi-final game against Glenbrook South (GBS). The noise from the crowd grew the combative energy that you could see on the field. The Scouts put up a beautiful fight with so many memorable moments against the Titans but fell short 4-1. Even though it wasn’t the wanted outcome, the fans left the field impressed by their talent and skill. 

“Although we didn’t make it to the game we wanted we all gave it our best and grew so much as a team throughout the whole season,” said junior Lulu Keil.  

The Team after winning the 3rd place title. Photo courtesy of Maisie Henshaw

They dominated for the 3rd place title beating Evanston (ETHS) 5-1. The team was able to wrap up their season and celebrate on their home turf. 

“Playing on my home field for my last high school season game was such a special moment. The excitement from the fans made it so much more memorable,” said senior captain Hannah Balmelli.

The team’s chemistry was monumental to their successful season. Whether you were a new or returning player to the roster, the team bond grew quickly. 

“Being on the team made me realize that the game is so much more than just being able to play but it’s about the family you create and the relationships you make,” said sophomore Stella Smith.  

Overall, the Varsity Field Hockey team had a 20-5-3 record. They also brought home the Oak Park River Forest Husky Invitational 1st Place title and the St. Louis Gateway Classic 1st Place title. There is no doubt that these girls had an impressive season. 

The wide variety of grades and ages of players on the team allowed for all kinds of growth and talent to be utilized. The five departing seniors will be large footsteps to fill. 

The seniors with their 3rd place trophy. Photo courtesy of Maisie Henshaw

“I’m very sad to see all the seniors go such a truly amazing group of seniors and we will definitely be losing such great talent and leadership,” said Varsity Coach Cat Catanzaro. “But I am so excited because there are a lot of youth and I’m optimistic about their growth and to see how far they will come on the team.” 

Senior captain Maisie Henshaw is “sad to leave such an amazing group” after four years of dedication to the team. 

The players’ ability to collaborate is what helped them succeed and make it so far. Their communication abilities were monumental to the season’s growth. 

Coach Catanzaro produces players who are far from selfish. 

“Not one kid wouldn’t pass if there was an open player for them to pass to;  100% of the time they would always do what was best for the team,” said Catanzaro. 

“We developed so much team chemistry and skill as a whole unit. The months we spent together made us all feel like a big family,” said Henshaw.