Who is winning the Kendrick Lamar vs. Drake beef?

Making Genuine Connections

Student To Student Offers Opportunities to Form Meaningful Relationships
Photo Courtesy of Mrs. Miles

Moving to a new school is a huge change and can be difficult for many students. The new environment and new people can be overwhelming for some. This change can be especially difficult in high school, as it can feel hard trying to meet new people and finding where you fit in. However, having a club involving kind, charismatic, and welcoming students who can guide you through these challenging times can be helpful for anxious new students. 

Student to Student, commonly known as STS, was a club created by beloved counselor Mrs. Megan Miles at Lake Forest High School in hopes of relieving some of the pressures new students may feel.

“I started this club 15 years ago for new students and families as we counselors would try to help new students tour the school, but we realized it can be embarrassing to have adults walk students to their classes,” said Miles, “so we gathered a bunch of kids who were willing to help new students find their way around the school.”

Students painting pumpkins. Photo Courtesy of Mrs. Miles.

As a new student, some of the many worries could be as simple as finding a familiar face in the lunchroom. These new students would now always have a friend to look for, relieving the anxiety and stress sitting alone can bring.

Student to Student holds a new student orientation the week before the first day of school to play games and encourage connection between students. Orientation gives them general information about the school, and helps them meet new people before the year begins. 

Other activities include: a summer welcoming committee, private school 8th grade information sessions, and tours for interested families. As one of the new activities, STS held a pumpkin painting activity to try something new, and have fun with each other.

This club not only helps relieve pressures, but it also helps develop human connections, and gives students a general sense of belonging in their new environment.

STS is one of the most important clubs a new student can take part in, and it’s also an important club for current LFHS students to get involved in. STS recognizes the importance of helping new students make the transition between schools more smoothly and comfortably.

“I think Student to Student is an important club as it helps new students feel more welcome and comfortable at the school, and helps them meet new friends, something that is very important in high school,” said STS board member Raina Vora, “I know if I was in their position, I too would want students to help me feel like I belong in a new environment.”