Who is winning the Kendrick Lamar vs. Drake beef?

LFHS Band Takes the Stage for Upcoming Fall Concert

Photo Courtesy of Mrs. Janene Kessler.

Lake Forest High School is hosting its annual Fall Band Concert Thursday. This year’s concert features performances from a variety of talented music groups, such as the Jazz Band, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, Drum Line, Percussion Ensemble, and combined bands. 

The bands will be playing a variety of pieces. The extracurricular Fall Jazz Band will perform music in an assortment of styles, such as Big Band Shuffle, Soul/Jazz Fusion, Latin, and Jazz/Pop. These pieces will also include students playing improvised solos.

The Concert Bands, which include the Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble, will each be playing music from movie soundtracks, Legends of the Fall and The Nightmare Before Christmas, as well as a symphonic transcription and an original piece for the wind band. These two groups will also combine to give a preview of some of the music that is being prepared for the upcoming Veterans Day observances in Lake Bluff and here at LFHS. The Drum Line and Percussion Ensemble will also be featured.

These ensembles have spent a lot of time rehearsing for this performance, and they started practicing these pieces “around the beginning of October,” said Band Director Janene Kessler.

“There’s a lot of work put into each concert. Mrs. Kessler can hear each tiny mistake and sometimes we will spend a whole class period perfecting one measure,” said senior Austin Cofer.

Kessler encourages people to come out and support the different bands and witness the different types of music they play. 

There is much more to Band than just the Marching Band or Pep Band that most people are familiar with from athletic events,” said Kessler. 

The concert begins at 7:30 p.m. in the Raymond Moore Auditorium. However, this is not your only opportunity to see these talented bands play.

“We will also have a small Pep Band at the playoff football game Friday night and have students participating in the regional ILMEA festival all day Saturday. Next week, we have two performances for Veterans Day and an Honors Recital the week after that,” said Kessler.