Desperately Needed Change for LFHS’ Bathrooms

We’ve heard enough about the changes needed in our school bathrooms. Now it’s time to unpack this mess and turn those words into action.

While many high school bathrooms across the country are off-putting, why does ours have to be? 

Below is a picture of a 2nd floor bathroom; is that the way we want to portray our school?

(Nyla Taskapilioglu)

While students need to take responsibility in taking better care of the bathrooms by not tossing paper towels around and by flushing the toilets, certain things are out of our control.

Our bathrooms have flooding issues, which has led to complaints throughout the building, but there are always ways to avoid this.

According to the school website, $2,343,563 of the $105 million referendum that passed in the spring will be put towards improving the restrooms.

In the meantime, if our student body wants the bathrooms to look better, we must take matters into our own hands.  

One way to tackle this is to involve the art department. 

Some of the money that will be put towards repairing the bathrooms should be used to make the bathrooms less eerie looking. Students and teachers involved with art are very creative people who can help in making the bathrooms look less like a prison.  

Painting positive sayings, like “Go Scouts!, Be Kind!, SCO-UTS!, Smile! You are beautiful!”, would brighten the bathrooms and would encourage everyone throughout the day. 

This could represent the inclusion of our art department and everyone as a whole.

Ideally, with the money from the referendum, the district can look into buying new sinks due to the water leaking and buy new toilets to put an end to the clogging and the breaking down of them.

Ultimately, nobody wants a depressing one to do their business in. The look of bathrooms not only determines whether or not students want to use them, but also shows how they view the school.

Now that this has come to the attention of the members of the board, faculty, and students, let’s make a difference for our current and future Scouts.

$500
$800