The Forest Scout Tries: Ceramics

In a new series, The Forest Scout staff members attempt different activities around Lake Forest, guided by experts. Look out for more videos and articles on LFHS happenings with TFS Tries.

This week, Editors-in-Chief Connor Boyle and Saige Joseph hop on the wheel to try ceramics,  one of the many classes that allow students to enhance their creative abilities. 

Senior Lilli Walsh, their teacher for the day, has been an artist her entire life, creating within the realm of both 2D and 3D works of art. 

When it comes to ceramics, Walsh said ceramics allows students to “have much more individual freedom to experiment” compared to some 2D art. 

Walsh is an avid art student, having taken six art classes while in high school, ranging from Drawing 1 to Ceramics 3 Honors and Summer Ceramics.

Taught by both Mrs. Jennifer Thomas and Mrs. Melissa Doucette, ceramics is open to all students. 

“At the end of the first couple of weeks, students are always amazed at how much they’ve grown,” Thomas said.  

As a form of 3D art, ceramics allows for a different range of projects to develop a different set of artistic skills. 

“I think from it I’ve relearned how to have fun and be creative in art, and the 3D aspect lets you break so many rules 2D restricts you to,” Walsh said. 

Walsh has done ceramics for a few years, but Thomas has been using the wheel for almost 19 years. 

“Art has made me think about what I know, what I don’t know, and what I would like to explore more. It’s kept me curious,” Thomas said.

By using the wheel, students can use it as a time to take a step back from other school work. 

“It’s challenging in a different way from many of their other classes. When making a project, you have to be more in the moment,” Thomas said. “I often find that throwing on the wheel or working on one of my projects helps me refocus in a similar way to practicing mindfulness.”

Ceramics is also a way for students to use their creativity to produce work that they are proud of.

“I love that everyone can find their place in art. If one area of art isn’t your thing, try another medium. If one process isn’t working, try a different one,” Thomas said. “It allows everyone to find a place where they can shine.”

While in high school, there are so many opportunities to try things you might not otherwise have a chance to.

“I think it’s something that’s not widely available after you graduate, so you should take the opportunity to learn a new skill while you can, and maybe find a new passion you can continue to pursue,” Walsh said.