District unofficially passes $105 million LFHS referendum

Will Atzeff and Austin Rice

The unofficial voting results for the $105 million LFHS referendum, which would focus on modernizing the outdated HVAC systems, third-floor classrooms, and science labs, are in. The Lake County Clerk recently posted the unofficial election results from the April 4th election, which should be certified by April 20. The unofficial results reveal a very close race, but ultimately point to a successful passage of the referendum.

Over the next few months, a more definitive plan for completing the renovations will be released by the district. As of now, there is no definitive answer for when students and staff can expect to see changes to their experiences at LFHS.

One of the main focal points of the referendum is updating the science labs. 15 million of the total $105 million will be going toward these new labs. According to the head of the Science Department, Dr. Ryan Abrams, the new rooms will have several upgraded workstations, which will be similar to the lab renovations that occurred at Deer Path Middle School. In order to allow students to better collaborate on their experiments and labs, there will be more equipment compatible with laptops for data analysis.

The renovation will affect all of the four of LFHS’s main science disciplines: biology, chemistry, physics, and environmental sciences. Specifically regarding biology and chemistry, the renovation will create the needed ventilation for in class experiments. Currently, the outdated vent hoods in some classrooms are a safety hazard. 

Additionally, some rooms only have one sink which is often broken, such as rooms 225 and 231. This makes it difficult to have classes in these rooms because running water must be available for safety reasons. The plumbing and access to water in these classrooms will be fixed. Implementing additional natural light and enhancing the artificial light in these classrooms will also be emphasized.

These new learning spaces will “not only meet the state requirements but also the unique needs of the students and teachers who inhabit it,” said Abrams. “This can generate excitement, focus, and motivation for all students.”

While these new renovations will present a prominent change in the department, an authentic scientific learning environment will still be preserved.

The English department is also expecting dramatic changes on the third floor. Many students often complain about the outdated technology in the often small sized classrooms. 

The head of the English Department, Mrs. Kristen Carlson, made it apparent that this was a struggle for teachers and students alike. Some English rooms have only two electrical outlets, making it very difficult for teachers to utilize all available technology. 

Currently teachers and students are “limited in what they can do in the classroom,” said Carlson. She believes that the renovation to the English Department will allow teachers to better their teaching habits and open new doors for the average student’s education. For example, some teachers find it hard to do group work because loud noise can often be heard from adjacent classrooms. 

Another advantage of the referendum is the safety precautions that will be provided to those inside the classroom. One of the first things that Carlson pointed out are the substandard locks that are on the classroom doors. 

“Right now teachers have to step into the hallway and use their keys to lock doors, and that’s time that we don’t want to give up,” Carlson said. 

Recently, safety is on the minds of everyone in schools, and new locks are the simplest way to ensure safety inside the classroom. 

Despite all of these high expectations, only the current underclassmen students will actually experience what this renovated LFHS might look like. However, many younger students are excited about the upcoming changes. 

“It could give kids a boost above other schools in the area, and I think there will be more kids interested in science classes once the updates are complete,” said freshman Ford Davie.

The historic 88- year-old building has not seen major updates since the commons were added to the school in 2008. It’s clear that the LFHS community is ready for an updated learning space. Although the passing of the referendum is still unofficial until the 20, there is hope in the future for teachers and students alike.