The Resurgence of Chess: How the Classic Game is Making a Comeback in the Digital Age

Lionel Messi and Christiano Ronaldo playing chess in a Louis Vuitton Ad--the most liked photo on instagram of 2022

via @louisvuitton on Instagram

Lionel Messi and Christiano Ronaldo playing chess in a Louis Vuitton Ad–the most liked photo on instagram of 2022

Caroline Gerber, Staff Writer

Chess.com, the leading online chess platform,  reached #2 in the US’s Top Free Games section of the iOS app store this January, and even #1 in some countries, demonstrating an unexpected resurgence in the board game.

App store shows chess.com as number 2 in Top Free Games (via chess.com)

In the last few years, and even the last few months, there has been a considerable increase in the amount of individuals playing chess, especially in the United States, even causing the chess.com servers to struggle–but the reason for chess’s rapid growth isn’t apparent.

The game of chess, which originated in India around the sixth Century AD and then spread to the Middle East and Europe, is an abstract, strategic board game that involves the movement and capturing of 32 different pieces over 64 squares. 

While Chess has not always been a mainstream activity in the United States, the game holds serious weight in other countries, such as Armenia, where Chess is a required school subject.

Now, chess.com has over 100 million worldwide users on their platform and have been experiencing server crashes because of the surging popularity of the game.

At LFHS, the rising popularity of chess can be seen through the increase in Chess Club membership and sheer number of students that play chess on a daily basis. 

Chess themed bookshelf in the library (Caroline Gerber)

“I went to the Chess Club at the beginning of the year and there were maybe eight people, and now there are 20 to 30 each time I go,” said Chess Club member junior Daniel Lim. 

Not only do students play during Chess Club meetings, teachers have noticed many students playing throughout the day, in lunch and in classes. Some aren’t thrilled about this resurgence, however.

“The kid right behind me always plays chess in my AP US History class, and the teacher isn’t happy about it,” said Chess Club member junior ChenChen Wan.

The popularity of the game can even be reflected in the library decor, which currently features a chess themed bookshelf.

What is behind the recent resurgence of Chess?

The recent popularity of chess started during Covid lockdowns. During quarantine, social interactions were limited to the internet, which led a large group of individuals to discover the world of online chess.

“I know a lot of people started playing chess because everybody was really, really bored during Covid and wanted something fun to do,” said Chess Club member junior Nate Rosenberg.

At the height of quarantine, Netflix’s newly released show The Queen’s Gambit, a story about a female chess prodigy, gained immense popularity. Since its release in October of 2020, The Queen’s Gambit became Netflix’s most watched limited series of all time, and was viewed a staggering 62 million times in the first month of its release.

“Because of Covid, we were online for a lot of things, and kids and adults were looking for something competitive and interactive to do, so those that came across The Queen’s Gambit thought chess could be something interesting to try,” said Latin teacher Mr. Phil Woodruff, a two time US Open chess player and the head of the LFHS Chess Club. 

Another reason behind this phenomena is the proliferation of high quality video tutorials, instructions, and live streams created by titled chess players and chess enthusiasts.

One such chess content creator is Levy Rozman, known on YouTube as “Gotham Chess.” He currently has 3.5 million subscribers on his YouTube channel and won the chess streamer award of the year in 2023.

Gotham Chess, along with many other YouTube channels centered around chess, have become especially popular with teenagers.

“My friends started playing chess and I started watching this YouTuber Gotham Chess who makes really good chess videos, and that got me into the chess community,” said Wan.

Youtube is not the only platform that features a vast amount of chess content. Individuals have also taken to Twitch, Instagram, and Twitter to share, produce, and stream chess content, which has attracted new players to the game, and even to the LFHS Chess Club, according to Woodruff.

“I got into chess about four months ago because I saw a lot of people playing it on social media,” said Rosenberg. 

Juniors ChenChen Wan, Aidan Watts and Hayden Gaston playing chess at a Chess Club meeting (Caroline Gerber)

Another alluring factor of modern day chess is the creation of new formats. While traditional chess games were played over the span of several hours, new formats and variations–the major ones being bullet, blitz, rapid, and daily–offer a more modern, exciting approach to the game.

Bullet and blitz are quick games that are over within two to five minutes. Rapid games typically last between ten to 60 minutes. Daily games are played at a much more leisurely pace, as they can last up to two weeks, with players making a few moves per day.

“Also, a great feature is that kids can play with other kids all over the world,” said Woodruff.

In addition, by its nature chess is highly motivating for competitive individuals. “People like looking at their ratings and seeing if they are getting better,” said Woodruff.”

In the pre-digital age, players wouldn’t have had the luxury they have now of checking their statistics and having platforms, such as chess.com-recommend individualized strategies, display analysis, and feedback.

Because of all these factors, chess has become a mainstream sporting event in recent years, with commentators and big prize money. Top competitors have the opportunity to win millions of dollars and endorsements. With chess channels, millions of spectators can tune in to view numerous tournaments.

What are the Benefits of Chess?

Chess offers a wide array of benefits due to its strategic nature and demand for sophisticated and analytical thinking. 

The game has been shown to prevent Alzheimers, increase creativity, and improve memory, and according to one study, the game of chess can even raise one’s IQ. The study in question focused on 4000 Venezuelan students that were introduced to the game of chess. After four months had elapsed a “significant rise” in their IQ scores was observed.

In addition chess increases one’s ability to concentrate, problem solve effectively, weigh risks and rewards, and improves reading skills.

“When it comes to kids, would I rather they play a Call of Duty type game or something like chess that is a bit more strategic and abstract that would encourage thinking?” said Woodruff. “I would rather they pick chess.”