Spring breakers urged to be cautious

A+beach+in+Miami.+

Diego Marquez

A beach in Miami.

Diego Marquez, Staff Writer

As the winter season slowly fades away and the sweet smell of spring fills the air, many students are counting down the days to their much awaited spring break. With visions of white sandy beaches and snow-capped mountains dancing in their heads, everyone is ready to enjoy some well deserved time off from school. 

However, it’s important to remember that while spring break can be a time for fun and adventure, it also brings some risks.

Mr. Lane Linder, Director of Operations, Safety and Security, emphasized the importance of being alert when traveling on spring break. 

With the frequency of targeted violence, both in the U.S. and abroad, it is critical that you remain aware of your surroundings at all times,” he said.

A few safety tips

First and foremost, you should consider the safety of your destination before embarking on a spring break trip. While it can be tempting to focus solely on the excitement of the adventure, it’s crucial to be aware of any potential risks or concerns that may very well affect your safety. 

Some students and their families are nervous because a group of four Americans were kidnapped in Matamoros, Mexico, this month. Two were killed and two were later released. 

“I had a trip planned months in advance to spring break with some friends; however, my family recently canceled it due to rising concerns they have about how safe Mexico is for me,” senior Jonas Bizys said.

Miami Beach, another popular spring break location, has issued a curfew after two fatal shootings and chaotic crowds.

Linder said it’s “easy to become distracted by friends and the excitement of a new location.”

He said it’s important to travel with a group of trusted friends who can watch out for you and help you make good decisions. He also stressed the importance of communication.

“Let your travel companions know the details on all scheduled events or excursions. Communicate on a frequent basis, especially if your plans change or you move to a different location,” Linder said.

It is also essential to have a plan for transportation and housing, so you’re not left stranded. When you’re out and about, be aware of your surroundings and stay cautious of strangers or unfamiliar places. 

As soon as you arrive at a new destination, set up a designated meeting area in case you get separated or lost. This should be a public location that is easy to access and visible from a long distance,” Linder said.  “Keep emergency contact numbers under ‘I.C.E.’ on your phone,” Linder said.  

This simple step can help emergency responders quickly access important information and contacts in the event of any situation or emergency. By following this advice, you can increase your chances of receiving timely assistance when it matters most.

Travel alternatives

It’s important not to forget that spring break is time off from the stresses of school. You could spend some quality time with your family at home, try volunteering for a cause you care about, or even pick up a part-time job if you’re looking to earn some extra cash. If you’re not sure what to do during your break, don’t be afraid to ask for suggestions from your school or friends. 

Spring break can also be a great time to focus on your personal growth and well-being. Whether that means trying a new hobby, reading a book, or just taking some time to relax and recharge, make sure you’re doing things that make you fulfilled.

“I see spring break as an opportunity to relax while also staying productive. I will finally have time to volunteer, which I have been meaning to do but haven’t had the chance during school,” senior Eddie Furey said.