College Corner: Week 4

Bentley Frost and Luca Ferraioli

Each Week, College Corner interviews five LFHS seniors on where they’re planning to attend college next year, what influenced their decision, and what they’re most excited about.

Name: Mariella Haubner

College: Ohio State University

Major: Psychology

Location: Columbus, Ohio 

Mascot: Buckeyes

How did you first hear about Ohio State?: 

“My cousin Liliana goes there and one of my best friends Lauren! They both could only say great things about it so I thought I’d just apply, but then I fell in love with it.”

Why Ohio State?: 

“When I first went there I immediately felt really comfortable. Something super unique to OSU I feel like is the insane school spirit. I don’t know any other school who would cross off all the “M’s” on campus or offer 11% off in the book store on tours just because of their rival school. They offer a lot of great research opportunities for my major and are ranked pretty high for it too! It’s not too far from home but also not too close, it felt like the perfect distance for me.” 

What are you most excited about?: 

“I’m probably most excited for game days since it is a Big 10 school, but also to meet so many new people and start a new chapter in my life!”

Name: Jack Kaplan

College: University of Kansas

Major: Marketing 

Location: Lawrence, Kansas 

Mascot: Jayhawks 

How did you first hear about Kansas?: 

“My mom went to Kansas and I loved the campus when I visited.” 

Why Kansas?: 

“I picked Kansas because of their outstanding school spirit and cool atmosphere.”

What are you most excited about?: 

“I am most excited to go to a Kansas basketball game!”

Name: Cece Clements

College: Clemson University

Major: Criminal Justice

Location: Clemson, South Carolina

Mascot: The Tigers

How did you first hear about Clemson?: 

“ I first found out about Clemson when I was looking for schools in the south. My friend just so happened to be moving to south carolina by Clemson so when I visited her I was able to get a good look at the campus.”        

Why Clemson?:         

“I chose Clemson because immediately when I stepped on campus all of the students were so friendly. on the tour, everyone kept running up to my tour guide saying hi which made it feel so welcoming.”

What are you most excited about?: 

“I’m so excited to rush in the fall and to meet my lifelong friends. I also can’t wait to go to one of the football games!”

Name: Robert Medica

College: University of Colorado Boulder 

Major: Exploratory Studies

Location: Boulder, Colorado 

Mascot: Ralphie the Buffalo 

How did you first hear about Boulder, and what made you apply?: 

“I heard about Boulder from a young age so I have known about it for a while. Boulders unique location inspired me to apply and Colorado is just a very good feeling place.” 

Why Boulder?: 

“I chose Boulder because the mountains add so much to it than just being a college town and give it such a different atmosphere. Also, Boulder is one of the best college towns in America which adds another awesome aspect. I felt like I would be missing out on a lot if I did not go to Boulder.  ” 

What are you most excited about?:

“I am most excited to meet new friends! I am also trying to play on the Boulder hockey team so I am excited to have a chance to continue playing hockey in college. I am also excited fot the skiing, weekends and social scene that Boulder has.”

Name: Ryleigh Tanksley 

College: Southern Methodist University

Major: Early Education and Advertising 

Location: Dallas, Texas 

Mascot: Mustangs 

How did you first hear about SMU, and what made you apply?: 

“My step sister went to SMU and I absolutely loved everything about it when I visited her.”

Why SMU?: 

“I chose to go to SMU because the size of the campus was perfect for me and everything is gorgeous. ” 

What are you most excited about?:

“I am most excited about Greek life and rushing as well as meeting new people.”