A winter to-do list

Jen Proeh, Staff Writer

The daunting freezing weather during the coldest months of the year can make it hard to find the motivation to get out of bed every morning.  Having fun, low-key activities planned for a chilly afternoon can make it that much easier to leave the warmth of your home.  

Ice skating at Millennium Park:

Lacing up your ice skates at Millenium Park on a sunny day in the heart of downtown Chicago is the perfect way to spend an afternoon.  The view of the skyline, the Bean, and the Magnificent Mile are the ideal backdrop to a fun excursion.  Tickets are free, and ice skates are for rental, but you must make a reservation online.

Skiing at Wilmot:

Wilmot Mountain, about 45 minutes away from Lake Forest, is the Midwest’s hub of winter activities.  With nearly 120 skiable acres, 25 trails, and four progression terrain parks, there is something for every level of skier.  Wilmot also has a tubing/ sledding area with 22 lanes for those who aren’t comfortable skiing. 

Join Lake Forest High School’s intramural bowling team:

The intramural bowling team is new to Lake Forest High School this year.  The volleyball coaching duo, Mr. Werner and Mrs. Jones, started the team this winter.  On their first trip, they gathered a crowd of around 25 bowlers. The team goes to an alley about 20 minutes away every Wednesday after school, and there is no cost.

Visit the Art Institute:

Visiting the Art Institute of Chicago on a day when it is too cold to spend time outside is the best way to still find fun in the day.  The museum in Grant Park is one of the oldest and largest museums in the world, with a collection of more than 260,000 artworks and artifacts.  Dressing up, having a good meal, and looking at famous art pieces is a complete day in the Windy City.